Neptune Aquatics

Keith's 55 gallon mixed reef tank

keithschon

Supporting Member
I've been reefing for many years but I just joined the forum, so this is an already established tank. This tank has been running for about 5 years, but a lot got wiped out maybe 2 or 3 years ago by dynos, and I moved the whole system to a new house in January 2021, so I'm not sure how to describe the age of the setup. Regardless, it's doing great now. And I learned a lot from that dyno outbreak, so I think I could save everything if it happened again now.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 250
Controller: Apex w/ Trident
Filtration:
- Reef Octopus S-130 skimmer
- home made algae reactor
- BRS carbon reactor
- filter socks (sometimes)

Corals, SPS:
- Bubblegum and forest fire digitatas
- 1 stylophora
- 2 plating montiporas
- encrusting monti
- 1 acro frag--new, still acclimating to light

Corals, LPS:
- assorted euphylia
- a couple cyphastrea
- 1 elegance
- pagoda
- mushrooms, 2 ricordia types and 1 disc.

Corals, softies:
- Green toadstool
- 3 zoa colonies
- 2 types of gorgonian
- kenya tree
- pulsing xenia
- GSP on back wall

All my corals were bought as small frags. When I get the big T. derasa clam in the middle, it was smaller than the hippo clam to its right.

Params:
Alk 9
Ca 420
Mg 1350
Salt: 33 PPT (in the process of raising this)
Temp: 79
IMG_1235.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1238.jpg
    IMG_1238.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1237.jpg
    IMG_1237.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Last night I attached the acro frag that I've been acclimating for a couple weeks. I'm excited to see how an acro does in this tank. I hemmed and hawed over where to put it. The peak in the center of the tank is pretty full of other SPS. I considered putting it lower down on that rock, but I was worried about flow. I ended up putting it on the peak on the left, which I've let get overgrown with xenia. I've been pruning that lately, and I guess now I'm committing to keep pruning it back.
IMG_1259.jpg

I also did some SPS pruning. My bubblegum digitata and my purple silophora were touching and those arms did not look happy, so I fragged both of them to make room. The digi frag has some red spots that I assume is inflamed tissue. I'm debating whether to see if it recovers, or to try to remove that part. I don't have much experience fragging SPS, so I'm guessing. Any advice is welcome.

I was looking forward to getting the frag rack out of my display tank, but I didn't want to just throw out the cuttings. I'm now seriously considering setting up a separate frag tank.
IMG_1260.jpg
IMG_1261.jpg

I've been reefing for many years but I just joined the forum, so this is an already established tank. This tank has been running for about 5 years, but a lot got wiped out maybe 2 or 3 years ago by dynos, and I moved the whole system to a new house in January 2021, so I'm not sure how to describe the age of the setup. Regardless, it's doing great now. And I learned a lot from that dyno outbreak, so I think I could save everything if it happened again now.

Corals, SPS:
- Bubblegum and forest fire digitatas
- 1 stylophora
- 2 plating montiporas
- encrusting monti
- 1 acro frag--new, still acclimating to light

Corals, LPS:
- assorted euphylia
- a couple cyphastrea
- 1 elegance
- pagoda
- mushrooms, 2 ricordia types and 1 disc.
Tank: Red Sea Reefer 250
Controller: Apex w/ Trident
Filtration:
- Reef Octopus S-130 skimmer
- home made algae reactor
- BRS carbon reactor
- filter socks
Such a nice set up ! great job, really
Looks amazing

Back