Reef nutrition

Kinetic ELOS 120XL

Thanks all for the thoughts and support.

I'm ready to move on from the frustration and just focus on the positives of the hobby. The home remodel is still waiting on permits to finalize (we're on the step of fire safety approval of plans), and then it should be 5-ish months before the tank will be moved into the house.

At this point I have all the parts (well, I think I have all plumbing parts, but you know how that goes). So if I'm bored I'll start piecing things together slowly for now, and when the house is ready, moving it over should be fairly easy.

Most of the issues are cosmetic, but the stand has these two screws which are still wrong. I'm probably going to go to the hardware stores and figure out if I can just buy the right sizes, but otherwise I'll just live with it.

I'm getting closer to starting the home construction. Permits are almost all done, cabinets are ordered, windows are finalized and about to be ordered... that being said, I'm having second thoughts about the tank. This hobby has been fun, especially the gear/planning process, but I'm worried I'm setting myself up for more frustrations. I do all the research I can, and I do everything possible to avoid and prepare for it all, but ultimately something really frustrating always comes up, and because the tank is kind of a "showpiece" and there's living things at risk, sometimes it becomes a bit of a stress creator that I don't really want.

Of course while things go well, it's just fantastic, but it seems like there's always an issue that creeps up eventually. And that's just part of the hobby. But personally, I'm questioning if this is what I want.

With my Reefer 170, I barely had to do anything other than water changes. Every few months I would just do a bigger scrub down (clean out the pumps, etc) but nothing else. I could go on monthlong trips too without any issues.

This new ELOS 120XL is supposed to be the grand "finale" of everything I've learned. The whole house remodel is built around this tank. While I didn't go super fancy/crazy with the construction planning, it does solve the majority things I wish I had with any tank setup where I couldn't do a custom build (strong flooring, dedicated breakers for the GFCI, built in joists for lights above, light outlets on the ceiling as well for cleaner pendant hanging), but when I get dinoflagellates again it will suck. When ich makes it way back into the tank despite all the qt/ttm and kills everything. When some other pest just decimates and forces me to start over... it will really suck and will it all be worth it?

I think I also just have so much else going on, not all bad, just other priorities, that I've been a bit reluctant with this project. The one thing that keeps me going is just the fun of this community, and getting excited to get this tank going and sharing the progress with everyone. Having a beautiful reef tank with some of my favorite fish swimming around will be fantastic as well.

The other option is I just stick a few cool house plants in that area to create the "divider" instead, hang some nice full-spectrum grow lights, and be done with it.

Also, selling brand new unused equipment (like Apex Pro, RedSea roller, etc) would give me some funds back for other things.

I'm just rambling, but man, I'm getting crushed by this home project and this weird world we're in right now.

I'm getting closer to starting the home construction. Permits are almost all done, cabinets are ordered, windows are finalized and about to be ordered... that being said, I'm having second thoughts about the tank. This hobby has been fun, especially the gear/planning process, but I'm worried I'm setting myself up for more frustrations. I do all the research I can, and I do everything possible to avoid and prepare for it all, but ultimately something really frustrating always comes up, and because the tank is kind of a "showpiece" and there's living things at risk, sometimes it becomes a bit of a stress creator that I don't really want.

Of course while things go well, it's just fantastic, but it seems like there's always an issue that creeps up eventually. And that's just part of the hobby. But personally, I'm questioning if this is what I want.

With my Reefer 170, I barely had to do anything other than water changes. Every few months I would just do a bigger scrub down (clean out the pumps, etc) but nothing else. I could go on monthlong trips too without any issues.

This new ELOS 120XL is supposed to be the grand "finale" of everything I've learned. The whole house remodel is built around this tank. While I didn't go super fancy/crazy with the construction planning, it does solve the majority things I wish I had with any tank setup where I couldn't do a custom build (strong flooring, dedicated breakers for the GFCI, built in joists for lights above, light outlets on the ceiling as well for cleaner pendant hanging), but when I get dinoflagellates again it will suck. When ich makes it way back into the tank despite all the qt/ttm and kills everything. When some other pest just decimates and forces me to start over... it will really suck and will it all be worth it?

I think I also just have so much else going on, not all bad, just other priorities, that I've been a bit reluctant with this project. The one thing that keeps me going is just the fun of this community, and getting excited to get this tank going and sharing the progress with everyone. Having a beautiful reef tank with some of my favorite fish swimming around will be fantastic as well.

The other option is I just stick a few cool house plants in that area to create the "divider" instead, hang some nice full-spectrum grow lights, and be done with it.

Also, selling brand new unused equipment (like Apex Pro, RedSea roller, etc) would give me some funds back for other things.

I'm just rambling, but man, I'm getting crushed by this home project and this weird world we're in right now.
Saying this as a habitual over-thinker, you're probably overthinking it. There's a book called The Paradox of Choice – Why More Is Less (and a plethora of video presentations). The premise is everyone thinks having a ton of options and ability to think things through is great, but in practice what that actually means is we think about all the negatives of our options and thereby make us not happy with our eventual choice. I feel like in these situations the same thing can apply. Think it over a lot, and in theory you're finding the optimal thing that'll optimize your results and maximize your happiness. However in practice it might be you constantly are thinking about the coulda-beens and the negatives.

Pointing that out probably doesn't help the situation, so apologies for that, but maybe the solution is just chill out about it, don't think about it, and trick yourself into having lower goals. A sweet tank with a giant GSP field growing across it would look great :).

It is a hobby. Something we all enjoy most of the time. I totally understand where you are coming from (I'm 10 years into a 2 year remodel on a Victorian...80% was done in 2 years...). Personally, if I can remove time pressure, the hobbies become fun again. I had to wait a bit, take a mental vacation from project management craziness, and start again once the creative juices overwhelmed the reluctance to start a new project.

House plants for now.....reef tank when you feel inspired!

Also, my wife 'collects' plants like I collect corals....so, if you want some clippings....we can accommodate in either way :)

Dont ever get a dog if that’s the way you think.
Or a girlfriend/wife /partner
The dishes are never done, there will be problems, but it IS worth it. (To me at least)
Set it up. Enjoy it. Make yourself happy and proud.

Saying this as a habitual over-thinker, you're probably overthinking it. There's a book called The Paradox of Choice – Why More Is Less (and a plethora of video presentations). The premise is everyone thinks having a ton of options and ability to think things through is great, but in practice what that actually means is we think about all the negatives of our options and thereby make us not happy with our eventual choice. I feel like in these situations the same thing can apply. Think it over a lot, and in theory you're finding the optimal thing that'll optimize your results and maximize your happiness. However in practice it might be you constantly are thinking about the coulda-beens and the negatives.

Pointing that out probably doesn't help the situation, so apologies for that, but maybe the solution is just chill out about it, don't think about it, and trick yourself into having lower goals. A sweet tank with a giant GSP field growing across it would look great :).
bring on the GSP fields =) Good perspective, thank you.

It is a hobby. Something we all enjoy most of the time. I totally understand where you are coming from (I'm 10 years into a 2 year remodel on a Victorian...80% was done in 2 years...). Personally, if I can remove time pressure, the hobbies become fun again. I had to wait a bit, take a mental vacation from project management craziness, and start again once the creative juices overwhelmed the reluctance to start a new project.

House plants for now.....reef tank when you feel inspired!

Also, my wife 'collects' plants like I collect corals....so, if you want some clippings....we can accommodate in either way :)
Right. I totally get what you're saying. I have a lot of hobbies I love dearly and dedicate myself to. But I don't feel like those somewhat "negatives" deter me in the long run of enjoying it, whereas in my experience with reef tanks is that it does have a lot of negatives that suck just a bit too much sometimes. It's just a personal preference possibly, or just a run of bad luck, or I'm not cut out for this type of hobby.

I like how you say wait for the inspiration. I'm just in a lull right now, especially coming off of the negative experience with ELOS.

And yeah, there are way too many plants in my house, so maybe our wives can do a plant swap sometime haha.

Dont ever get a dog if that’s the way you think.
Or a girlfriend/wife /partner
The dishes are never done, there will be problems, but it IS worth it. (To me at least)
Set it up. Enjoy it. Make yourself happy and proud.
I think you miss the point, or I didn't communicate it clearly. I have a dog. I have a wife. The problems aren't keeping me from them as much as the reef side of things.

1. My dog was highly reactive, I worked with her 5 hours a day, every day, for over 2 years before we made progress. This included counter conditioning and BAT training with behaviorists, veterinary behaviorists, and trainers. Some of it sucked, but it was amazing and I have the best bond with my dog that I could have never even imagined otherwise. You won't find a more balanced dog, I'm pretty sure. All of this I would do again.
2. My wife and I were dating for 14 years, engaged for 4, and still married. Any problem was just fine.
3. Dishes are always done, I actually enjoy cleaning

So no, you don't know how I think (not saying it's your fault, I didn't spill my entire psychological profile here). I just have doubts on this one.

But anyway, I have always found this community to be a good one to talk these things through. I'm sure there's at least a few who've gone through some of these thoughts too.

I think you miss the point, or I didn't communicate it clearly. I have a dog. I have a wife. The problems aren't keeping me from them as much as the reef side of things.

1. My dog was highly reactive, I worked with her 5 hours a day, every day, for over 2 years before we made progress. This included counter conditioning and BAT training with behaviorists, veterinary behaviorists, and trainers. Some of it sucked, but it was amazing and I have the best bond with my dog that I could have never even imagined otherwise. You won't find a more balanced dog, I'm pretty sure. All of this I would do again.
2. My wife and I were dating for 14 years, engaged for 4, and still married. Any problem was just fine.
3. Dishes are always done, I actually enjoy cleaning

So no, you don't know how I think (not saying it's your fault, I didn't spill my entire psychological profile here). I just have doubts on this one.

But anyway, I have always found this community to be a good one to talk these things through. I'm sure there's at least a few who've gone through some of these thoughts too.
I don’t think you understood me.
I know you have a dog. The dog will die. It will break your heart. You will feel like you’ll never want another one. (You probably will)
The relationship with any person will end. One way or the other. Even if it’s death and you’re old. The hurt will be enormous.
(It’s better to have loved and lost…)
The dishes are never done = tank is always going to require some attention /work (things will always go wrong, but you deal with them. It’s how it works, but it’s worth it)
Don’t worry about what might go wrong with the tank, just go for it!

I don’t think you understood me.
I know you have a dog. The dog will die. It will break your heart. You will feel like you’ll never want another one. (You probably will)
The relationship with any person will end. One way or the other. Even if it’s death and you’re old. The hurt will be enormous.
(It’s better to have loved and lost…)
The dishes are never done = tank is always going to require some attention /work (things will always go wrong, but you deal with them. It’s how it works, but it’s worth it)
Don’t worry about what might go wrong with the tank, just go for it!
I see what you mean. I think I just haven’t had any long term success (for all sorts of reasons, including possibly me being not suitable for it) and it wears on me. Or my expectations are wrong.

But you are right. I can’t just worry about all the possible issues. Thanks for the perspective.

Back