Neptune Aquatics

Korean vinegar vs. Regular distilled white vinegar

After Gresham gave me a tip to try korean 'kimchi' vinegar instead of the regular Heinz or generic american stuff, I have to say I am really impressed.

I found some vinegar at my local korean grocery store (Kyo Po in Sunnyvale on El Camino). They have several different types. I was originally expecting large gallon+ sizes, but it appears that most of the vinegar comes in one or two quart plastic bottles. Unfortunately, most of the labeling was in Korean, which I can't read, but I did see some english labels noting that it was vinegar, that it was 'concentrated' and that it was 29-31%.

The store sold different types, some were in the $6 range per bottle and others in the $3 range per bottle. I discovered that the ones in the the $6 range seemed to be marked with 25% acidity and up. I am not sure if the cheaper ones are less acidic or just lesser known brands though. I purchased a white rice vinegar. They also carry other types. (Apple, etc.)

One of the bottles even said something along the lines of "DO NOT CONSUME UNDILUTED!". A little internet research indicated that regular american distilled white vinegar is typically 4-5% acetic acid. I am guessing then that this korean stuff at 30% is more than 6x the strength.

Of course being the skeptic I am, I decided to taste the korean vinegar straight. GAH! Very sour. Notably more so than the American stuff.

Haven't really used it yet, but will try it on my next powerhead bath. :)

Cheaper is usually just weaker IME. Some of those bottles are rather useful once you've used the vinegar up as well. I love the ones with handles.

Yeah the bottles are really nice. I got one with the handles. The cap screws on really well too. Much better than the american kind.

I think one of the big advantages of this stuff is not only the raw strength, but the fact that if you don't need something really strong, you can store 6x the vinegar in the same space!

I could not find any of this stuff at the local asian market by my work. All I saw was japanese and chinese rice wine vinegar. I did not see any korean characters what so ever in the vinegar section. I ended up going to Safeway and buying a gallon of safeway white vinegar for cheap. :(

Pusan Plaza in Oakland has it, a massive section in fact :)

http://local.yahoo.com/info-21516480-pusan-plaza-oakland

No problem. Just do what the parking attendant instructs, it's safest that way I've found :lol:

No, for cleaning pumps and such. Pump impellers attract calcareous build up so soaking them in vinegar will remove it :)

Some do use it in with their Kalk so the kalk doesn't raise the PH as much so you can add more kalk. I don't recommend it though.

works just as fine as well, just a little more potent and needs a little more rinsing/sodium bicarbonate :)

Gresham, with the super concentrated Korean vinegar, is it necessary to rinse with a baking soda solution, instead of plain tap water? I have been cleaning powerheads etc. with Costco vinegar, and just rinsing with regular tap water.

sfboarders said:
I could not find any of this stuff at the local asian market by my work. All I saw was japanese and chinese rice wine vinegar. I did not see any korean characters what so ever in the vinegar section. I ended up going to Safeway and buying a gallon of safeway white vinegar for cheap. :(

99 Ranch?

I believe Marina Market has a Korean aisle, I'll check there today, I need some fixens for my griddle.

tuberider said:
sfboarders said:

99 Ranch?

I believe Marina Market has a Korean aisle, I'll check there today, I need some fixens for my griddle.

I went to Marina, They have a "Vinegar" aisle. I didn't see any Korean aisle. I didn't check out 99 Ranch.

I'll be in the Foster City area today, I'll see if I have time to pop by 99, I have some highly neglected Tunzes on a customers tank that need some love.

Back