Reef nutrition

Kremis's 28 gallon nano and 180 gallon mixed reef

The new splendid died over last night, it never really acclimated to the tank and swam around for hours. It never went into the sand. On the bright side though, one of my other splendids is getting a lot braver and coming out more often.

Yesterday in my 180, my pink/purple birdsnest that I have had for over 3 years died. It got RTN, and I fragged what I could off of it. So far, 2 of the frags lived, the rest died in the same way overnight. There is now a very big hole there :( it spread to a tiny green birdsnest that was there too, so I moved my bird of paradise (closest one to it) away.

Bummer! Hope it does not spread.
By the way, I have been enjoying your thread even though I haven't commented yet. Keep it up!

It's been a bad week for the tank. All of the birds nest frags I made died. It did not spread to the other colonies, which was good. On the other hand, my jawfish, fire fish, the smaller of the 2 sand sifter gobies, and the blotched Mathias are MIA. All within the last week. I took a long look at the tank today and noticed this :( I don't know why this happened. At first I thought the eel, but it's mouth is barely big enough to eat the krill I feed it. all this happened in the same week.. anyone have any thoughts as to why the fish went missing? My blue tang has a little ich, but I think it will be fine, as it has lived through ich 3 times before. I did not seee any diseases on the missing fish. None carpet surfed, either.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Have you tested your water to see what is out of whack? Check ammonia, too. Could fish be hiding?

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Have you tested your water to see what is out of whack? Check ammonia, too. Could fish be hiding?
All params are on point. Fish have not come out for a few days. In my 28 gallon, the smaller garden eel on the left side died. I was looking at the tank and noticed that he was sticking his head out but not breathing. An hour before he was fine and eating, made no sense at all. He did have a weird sore on his head though :( all params were good in 28 gallon too.. makes no sense

Test kit bad? Alk and Salinity in particular. Maybe params only look good.
Have you used any pesticides around the house lately?
Weird that two separate tanks would both go bad at once.

I have a refractometer for salinity. Alk test kit might be bad, had it for about a year. No pesticides or any other chemicals by the tanks. Only 1 garden eel died in the 28 gallon, the other of the same species is still alive and healthy

I'll check it today. So far, everything is back to normal, and nothing has died since. However, one of the tunze power heads stopped working, and judging by the amount of stuff that came out, it hasn't been on for at least 2 weeks. It used to be blowing almost right on the birds nest that died. Could that have killed/ caused them to die?

Update:
Birdsnests are doing ok, however one of my green acroporas started dying today, so I fragged off the living parts (75%, caught it early) It was not very big, and im not too torn up about it. However, in my 28 gallon my green nepthea started dying. This iI am really upset about, it is really big and took forever to get as big as it is now. I cut off all the dying parts, hopefully that will work. If it dies however, I do have a few frags of it in my frag tank and can re-grow it. On the brighter side though, I picked up 2 purple tilefish from aquatic collection yesterday. Both were eating 1 minute after going into the tank, which is a good sign. No more fish have gone missing. This thread needs more positive things lol.. :( the tanks have both been doing great for months, when suddenly all this happens... and its just certain corals too, everything else in both tanks are still doing great, makes no sense. All params are on point. nothing is off. My 28 gallon has been the same for months, haven't changed a thing.

Have had a lot of problems with the tanks all of the sudden in the past month. An ich outbreak happened, and I moved some fish over to treat them in a QT. The smaller of the tilefish got killed by a pump, and the big wrasse that I had died. The others all got ich free. No corals have continued to die. I added 1 more hass garden eel to the 28 gallon, making it 2 splendid (that still arent eating) and 2 hass(spotted) sorry for no updates, been very busy. Will post more pics tomaro

Last edited:
Sorry about lack of posting to anyone following this, I have been very busy, it being the end of the school semester and all. I redid my rockwork a bit yesterday to make room for acros that were being stung by anemones, but in the process dropped a big rock on my monti cap, which wasnt too bad but now i have 20 monti frags lol. 180 gallon : After about a few months my frag tank finally looks good, and all the corals are doing great in all tanks. However, the fish are having problems, with the ich outbreak and all. I currently have 2 pyramids in hospital, and 1 in the DT that has ich. One of the pyramids in the hospital has hole in head, doeesnt seem like HLLE though. I should be able to cure it. Both tilefish got killed in the ich outbreak and my flame anglefish now has popeye. My snowflake eel that I added a few weeks ago is now very bold, and is one of my favorites. A funny thing about it though is that if I don't feed it when i feed the rest of the fish, it sort of throws a tantrum and goes around the tank knocking stuff over and snapping at fish lol, by far one of my favorites.
28 gallon: The new hass garden eel rarely comes out, and dug under a rock. I am willing to give it time based on the others, though. 1 of the 2 splendids has gotten a lot bolder and is out almost all the time now, and probably eats when im not looking/feeding. As soon as i put food into the tank it hides.. I have however seen it snapping at small specks of something that occasionally float by, which I take as a good sign. The other splendid however rarely comes out. Over the past few weeks my male seahorse has been acting very strangely, and hiding in the back of the tank and not moving around a lot. Even when I fed it, it ate but with less enthusiasm as it used to. I was getting really worried, and had no idea what it could have been. Finally today, I saw him lying in the sand in the back and went in to get him out, thinking he was dead. As soon as I touched him with the tongs, however he perked up and swam away, back to the back of the tank behind the rocks. The other seahorse is completely fine, and acts normal. I will upload pictures of everything tomaro, sorry for so much text and so little pictures lol. Thanks to everyone whos following along!

I'll check it today. So far, everything is back to normal, and nothing has died since. However, one of the tunze power heads stopped working, and judging by the amount of stuff that came out, it hasn't been on for at least 2 weeks. It used to be blowing almost right on the birds nest that died. Could that have killed/ caused them to die?

This was one of the hard lessons I had to learn in reefing. We have such a consumer mentality: I bought this really expensive equipment, and I expect it to work forever, and flawlessly. Unfortunately, a saltwater tank is a cruel environment. Stuff fails. Salt eats many things, then there is calcium, algae, detritus, and everything else to clog inlets, outlets, and bind motors from working. two weeks ago, the motor on my Tunze ATO froze. At first angry, I had to remind myself that it is a $1 DC motor. Did I really expect it to work forever? My new mantra is "trust nothing, check everything regularly".

So sorry to hear about your losses, and hope things are back on track.

Sorry about lack of posting to anyone following this, I have been very busy, it being the end of the school semester and all. I redid my rockwork a bit yesterday to make room for acros that were being stung by anemones, but in the process dropped a big rock on my monti cap, which wasnt too bad but now i have 20 monti frags lol. 180 gallon : After about a few months my frag tank finally looks good, and all the corals are doing great in all tanks. However, the fish are having problems, with the ich outbreak and all. I currently have 2 pyramids in hospital, and 1 in the DT that has ich. One of the pyramids in the hospital has hole in head, doeesnt seem like HLLE though. I should be able to cure it. Both tilefish got killed in the ich outbreak and my flame anglefish now has popeye. My snowflake eel that I added a few weeks ago is now very bold, and is one of my favorites. A funny thing about it though is that if I don't feed it when i feed the rest of the fish, it sort of throws a tantrum and goes around the tank knocking stuff over and snapping at fish lol, by far one of my favorites.
28 gallon: The new hass garden eel rarely comes out, and dug under a rock. I am willing to give it time based on the others, though. 1 of the 2 splendids has gotten a lot bolder and is out almost all the time now, and probably eats when im not looking/feeding. As soon as i put food into the tank it hides.. I have however seen it snapping at small specks of something that occasionally float by, which I take as a good sign. The other splendid however rarely comes out. Over the past few weeks my male seahorse has been acting very strangely, and hiding in the back of the tank and not moving around a lot. Even when I fed it, it ate but with less enthusiasm as it used to. I was getting really worried, and had no idea what it could have been. Finally today, I saw him lying in the sand in the back and went in to get him out, thinking he was dead. As soon as I touched him with the tongs, however he perked up and swam away, back to the back of the tank behind the rocks. The other seahorse is completely fine, and acts normal. I will upload pictures of everything tomaro, sorry for so much text and so little pictures lol. Thanks to everyone whos following along!

Kremis, I really need to read through a thread before responding to a post in the middle. Condolences on the tsunami of difficulties.

Jim

Kremis, I really need to read through a thread before responding to a post in the middle. Condolences on the tsunami of difficulties.

Jim
Thanks. I hope everything settles down now, so far everything is going good, and I just got a lot of rock for xmas, so I hope to add in more rocks over the winter break :) As promised, here are some pictures:
garden eels in 28 gallon: https://gyazo.com/890009e576fc39c6a26d7faee11060d8
sun/tube coral (idk which) https://gyazo.com/b7fb9372ae6adbe72a344925779244fd
anemones: https://gyazo.com/0377ace9650e5966b09eae72d84d283b
new chalice frag : https://gyazo.com/ab39b230a4cb47a6768f1fd382b3c22a

video of everything:

Hey all, sorry I have not been on, been very busy with school. I will update pictures of my 180 gallon tomorrow, I redid the rockwork and imo it looks a lot nicer now :) Corals are doing great, and fish are now all settled down again and everything is going normal. I did however sadly lose both splendid garden eels, mainly because they were both so finicky, and wouldn't come out to eat and when they did, immediatly shot down again because they were scared of the food... The spotted ones seem to fair a lot better in captivity and are very brave and active. The biggest recent addition to my 180 is my blue jaw triggerfish, which is just under 3 inches and is a model citizen. He does not bother any of the other fish/corals/inverts, although my blue tang doesnt really like him, and sort of banished him to the corner for the first few days that he was in the tank. He is doing good now. Will post pics tomorrow!

Back