Cali Kid Corals

Leemar Starphire 290

Did you get your sump through Neptune and Krittertanks? I happened to be there when Gen delivered a massive sump, it was larger than my DT and made me feel inadequate :)

LOL! Yes Erick, that was it. I just got the word it came in today. I will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I am SO jealous you got to see it! LOL!

SO EXCITED!!!!! :bigsmile:

Thanks Monzer!

THE SUMP IS HERE!!! And it's HUGE!

Picked up the Sump from Neptune today. Built by Gen at Kritter Tanks and it's a work of art! I couldn't be more pleased. I can't wait to see water flowing through this baby. A few mods left to do, but for the most part, it's good to go.

I am gonna leak test it overnight (although the seams are beautiful, I am not too worried about leaks) and get it in the stand tomorrow. It's a little taller than anticipated (long story, I couldn't make up my mind on size, so the stand and sump are a bit taller........which I am VERY happy about!) so it's not gonna fit through the side door. Chris (the rockstar that built the stand) showed me how to remove the center bracing on the back of the stand as he wasn't able to make the door on the side as wide as we needed for strength. The sump was going to be 22" tall, but it's 24".........which is perfect, because the stand was going to be 38", but is 40".......so still plenty of head room and working space.

This sump has a MASSIVE fuge. I am so excited about this. It is exactly what I wanted, and I can't wait to fill it. Hopefully this will lead to a VERY healthy and stable tank with a boatload of live food for the fishies. :bigsmile:

IMG_1723.jpg

I had to use the wide angle lense to get the entire sump in the photo. LOL!
IMG_1724.jpg

MASSIVE FUGE! 32" x 24" x 24" (the water line will prolly be about 19" in reality).......approx 64 gallons @ 19" deep.
IMG_1725.jpg

The sump itself is approx 150 gallons.............approx 120 @ 19" deep.
IMG_1728.jpg

Pretty happy to have the sump first.......hopefully will get the layout finalized before the tank gets here and get some of the plumbing through the wall started before the tank is on the stand and I can't move it anymore. ;)

WATER!!!!

This is about 21" of water. More than I will be keeping the level at. (thinking between 18 - 19". Will play around with the level once I get water in the tank.
photo5.jpg

Thanks everyone. I am very happy..........no leaks. Love the design of the sump. It is large, simple and elegant. I think it will produce a wonderful / gentle flow at approx 2000 GPH. Moves to the stand tomorrow. 8)

Your prolly right Erin. LOL! I was already wiping it all down...........Such a geek. :bigsmile:

Funny you should ask Jim. I was contemplating that tonight. I actually read through a bunch of forums about it. I personally have only used schedule 40. Have had a tank running on it for 7 years with no issues. Most people seem to think that using sched 40 for the pipe and joints is ok, however the ball valves and unions or "anything threaded" are better in schedule 80. Primarily because the handle on the gate and ball valves turns easier. I can't confirm that with the sched 80, however the ball valve on my tank is a nightmare (I guess that counts as an issue.......retract above). I have to support the pipe above and below so I don't snap the thing in half. So I am leaning toward a half and half method. I have already bought sched 40 bulk heads. Unfortunately later reading they can also be a problem. Again though, I have never had an issue with them personally.

But it will also depend on what I can find locally. I'm not organized enough with my plumbing to think I would order all the correct parts. I tend to invent the design as I go, and often take multiple trips to the hardware store while doing so.

You probably noticed I went with all schedule 80 on my setup. IMHO, if you are spending all that money on your tanks, schedule 80 just looks so much cleaner. I should have a bunch of 1/2"- 1 1/2" fittings and some pipe left over from my build that I can let go cheap. ;) You can also go to www.urbanfarmer.com (in SF) for a great selection (plus you can return what you don't use). Bulk Reef Supply is another great resource.

It helps to draw things on paper and make a list from there.:)

I think Jim was a little off on his link. :)

His link took me to a meat wholesale site! Perhaps he was just hungry?? :tongue:

I think www.urbanfarmerstore.com is the correct link. Thanks for the idea, Jim. There is a store on my side of the GGB so no toll!

Thanks for the info guys. I will look into it. I believe my holes have all been drilled for ABS bulkheads, so I will stick with those. I will prolly do as you suggest and order the schedule 80 stuff from BRS. I'll draw it out tonight and hopefully it will all be delivered before the tank gets here (sometime next week.....fingers crossed). Good to know there is a local supplier as well. I have been to that Urban Farm Store before, but wasn't looking at plumbing. Heading there today to compare prices with BRS. If it is not too far off, I will just get it all there.

Thanks again!

You won't find better prices than BRS. Ask for JP or Cat at UF, and tell them you are setting up a large tank like I did and will need a boat load of plumbing. They'll hook you up with little discount. ;)

Busy day today......

Ordered a boatload of Sched 80 PVC from BRS today. Hoping it will be here early next week.

Meanwhile...............I was able to put the sump in the stand. Not without the usual hickups though.

Took the back off and it still didn't quite fit.....almost as if I had an obscenely oversized sump or something! LOL! :steve:
DSCN1177.jpg

I was able to remove an additional panel from the back with ease and it went right in.
DSCN1183.jpg

Got the first of the plumbing dry fit and ligned up through the wall.
DSCN1190.jpg

Unfortunately the sump was PERFECT all the way to the right. The Fuge was almost completely visable and the 2" pipe was ligned perfectly with the pre-made slot in the back. However, there is a giant pillar on the wall behind it that is right in the way. So I had to adjust the sump to the left approx 7" to compensate.
DSCN1196.jpg

The problem pole. Will also have to lower the shelving a few inches. Gonna wait until I get the pumps though, so I don't guess at it again. The two pipes on the left are for the skimmer pump and the skimmer return. The large 2" will be split for two primary return pumps.
DSCN1192.jpg

Not a whole lot else I can do until the plumbing gets here.

Back