Jestersix

LEGOs as the perfect frag tank equipment?

richiev

Supporting Member
On Facebook someone posted this pic of their aquarium:

FB_IMG_1648357908223.jpg

While that's very much not my style, it got me thinking. It seems like Legos would be awesome, bare bottom, frag tank equipment. Instead of these obnoxious egg crate stands that are wobbly, I could just use Legos.

Want to raise or lower things? Stack Legos. Want to create a mushroom holder? Lego box with gaps for water flow. Want to create a waterproof, diy, overflow + weir? Legos + superglue. Skimmer platform? Legos.

Cheap. Tons of sizing. Lots of shape variety. Seemingly easy to make water tight with superglue. Tons of color options.

You could make some really interesting shapes if something would encrust over it.

Along with those little pizza box stools, in the past my students have wanted to take Lego bricks from molecular model kits we assembled to use as frag plugs. Unless glued down or attached to base plates they can float, tip over, wouldn’t stick to rock or stay where placed, and were all around a pain. I also didn’t know how we could remove the plastic later. Now all this was in a frag tank with rock and we had no room for base plates (and had spent a lot of time and money amassing our sets of bricks for regular classes), so your idea sounds much different and better.

Related reef-Lego article from last fall: https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2021/10/01/lego-to-the-reef-restoration-rescue/

Im guessing from my experience with 3D printed frag racks, which turned out to be too buoyant, that because Legos are hollow, they would trap air inside and float. Note the structures in the pic seem to be weighed down with rocks.

Back