Our mission

Lighting suggestions for my fuge.

So I was told to get a 2-3 watts per gallon full spectrum light for my fuge. The fuge is 20 gallons, so I would need 40-60 watts of light.

I've been looking all over the place, and all the lights available and prices are staggering, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

What do you guys use and what do you suggest.

I just use a clamp on work light with a 6700k CF bulb I got from HD only cost 15 bucks if your fuge is big just add another one. it has been working great

You don't need to do a lot of DIY, just get an Aluminum reflector from any hardware store and buy the light bulb, CF flood typebetter but a twisty will work as long as it is around 65K; finding a place to fix it would be as much DIY you will be doing.

how do I mount it? I would suspect it gets hot, and I have an acrylic tank.

The reflectors, I saw the last time I was HD, didn't have places to plug in the bulb, as in I would have to buy the end caps and do some wiring.
Would I need a ballast? or are they low enough wattage that it isn't needed.

the CF flood when I looked it up seems to be a round bulb, wouldn't it be better to have the long tube types?

-thanks
Erick

If you want to DIY it a little, I'd recommend ahsupply.com
Good kits and the instructions make it really easy to do. No fancy tools needed.
You can use a 1x36watt kit.

How big is your fuge going be? on my last tank my fuge was 20 L x 15 D and 2 of the clamp on work lights worked great. And they run cool to the touch. check out melvesreef.com he explains what bulbs work the best. The corallife fixture will work good but I think that those fixtures are to expensive for a fuge and the bulbs are expensive as well

My fuge is 20 gallons, and it is a display fuge, so clamp on industrial lighting is out (cause it doesn't look nice).
DSC04173.JPG

Too much light, I wouldn't be able to keep some of the "winter" macro algae... I lost a Codium taylorii under my 150w MH in my Nanocube.

too ugly :D

I like the DIY stuff, I just don't want to DIMyself. I am going to go with the more expensive coralife light, it will suit my needs and not look industrial.

I guess Codium Taylorii is, I put it in quotes cause that's what John Maloney from reefcleaners.org told me. I think it means they are more readily available in winter? or they are a lower light algae. Really I can't say for certain. He said Ulva is a "Summer" algae, which I'm sure means higher lighting needs.

maybe something like this not to bad for 40 bucks
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100002768&N=+524626+4294948984+90401

Back