Neptune Aquatics

Little disaster...

Seems the storm left a few PGE customers without power for quite a bit; among those affected I'm counted in...
The small cube I have running with the frags did not comeback online after power was restored; the big tank did but just found the small 20g cube was at 59.9F...
Couple fish in there shivering but corals are doomed; have to keep an eye to check what survives...
Man it sucks...

Randy's Mummy Eye Chalice... :(

20190214_173748_Film1.jpg

Sorry to hear, Mario.
If I didn’t lose all my corals two weeks ago (heater malfunction) I’d be offering you a bunch of frags. I’ll be restocking soon and I’ll let you know when I have extras.

Hi Mario if you want you can bring some water and a tank and keep your tank at me. I can even help you carry them and setup. Not sure any other way to help you out. I don't have a portable battery. Only my car battery if you want, but you will need to do some adjustments and get power from it.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Mario! Glad that the big tank didn’t suffer the same fate! I can frag some zoas for you if you’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang. Sympathies.
Hard to plan for that sort of thing. An airstone on a battery is one thing, but heaters
take some real power, so hard to have backups.
Hopefully there is a bit of life left in the skeletons. Sometimes corals surprise you.

@cdhappy I do remember you mentioned that the heater went bad; just a part of the hobby we have to deal with.

Big tank dropped to 70F but the zoas there, fish and anemones are doing well; acans not so; lost some nice rainbows.

Water is a bit cloudy in the small tank; already did a water change and running carbon; acros are gone; chalices are gone but these seem to pull back from small sections of flesh, montis very stressed and I’m very tired.

I called my brother and asked about what time power went out but he said it didn’t, also mentioned that maybe someone turned the power off...

I have an MP10 on battery back up but as Mark points out, a heater is a different thing.

Thanks all for the kind offers...

I have a gas hot water heater. Made a closed loop of hose from storage bin of hot water, through the tank and back into the storage bin. Keep hot water in the bin and it will keep the tank warm. Pumped with a small aquarium pump run off an inverter and car battery. A lot of wotk but made it through a day without power last year.

So sorry for you Mario. I know first hand that this type of things really sucks.
Hope everything remaining survives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18hrs!!?? What happened?
26 hrs actually before the power came back on this morning.

Well lets just say it was a good thing I didn't have any "sensitive" corals, fish are pissed but seem accounted for except for my tomini tank but I'll admit I haven't been actively looking for fish, temperature was 64 degrees, an hour and a half later and nearly 2000 watts of heaters it's now 67 degrees. Killed off a few bristleworms that you never know you have in my sump, they apparently don't like the cold, a bit of a brown look to the bottom though, not sure what that's all about, hopefully in a few hours the protein skimmer can clean things up, I'll figure it out later today though, don't have time this morning.

so while we're on the topic...how do I/we protect our tanks from this? are there UPS systems we can employ? I know EcoTech has the battery backup but I think that only powers the heads?

Yes, but IMO, flow is the most important thing at least in the short term, definitely don't want to get oxygen depleted regions of your tank that can kill stuff which would start a chain reaction.

That said, not really. Heaters just take too many watts for batteries to be of much use... well maybe a Tesla Powerwall would work, but that's a big battery. Lighting is the least of what you need, that can stay off for days if necessary, so yeah... flow is the big thing really. Ultimately though, don't overcrowd your tank with fish and you'll probably end up being better in the long run.

So outside of running a generator, which is an option but not a cheap option, keep the flow going.

I have a gas hot water heater. Made a closed loop of hose from storage bin of hot water, through the tank and back into the storage bin. Keep hot water in the bin and it will keep the tank warm. Pumped with a small aquarium pump run off an inverter and car battery. A lot of wotk but made it through a day without power last year.
That's clever!

Back