Reef nutrition

Mandarin in a tank with other pod eaters

richiev

Supporting Member
Tank: Reefer 500 (~100 gal, ~50in * 24in * 24in)
Main other pod eaters / related fish: court jester goby, melanurus wrasse, lawnmower blenny

I like green mandarin dragonnets. Back in the day I trained one to eat mysis, and it was my fav fish. Generally I think my tank size is fine for one, but I'm not sure if the other fish would cause food challenges. I'd expect to get one that's mysis trained, or train it myself, but I know that's supplemental food versus core food.

The tank itself is sand + a relatively open rockscape. I have a fuge in the sump with rockwork and various macros (and a buttload of hair algae at the moment).

Any initial reactions on if I'd have issues adding a Mandarin?

Proverbial recent full tank shot. Definitely not a big pile of rocks in there for pods.

AJFCJaU5TBGzfrWsL5DP6yxA-YcRu9hPddazu2wpbdITSmSPI_wLYv-VqP-pzkXYCZKEjJTdw3kfmKdfBHKVBKO3PSPd3lOBKT1V1ZsfpUOJru63GCNQRAOczhRKoo5mvliqUcwSwQKhmsFkS4nTv16jQQF6p7wvhxR7_eRX7RLlj7CwBjbQaKgaGqIuBCCZ2irf3s604pI76u6OnaP0AC6_YyvO53Mh6W1tFmVSd6GpcMUnHJ7RQHcshXoE5dY9TMPIMSTJZePxlz9q-boLnoVoNSvhzrfLwRwpsJkLQ2LOTZVRU7lNQPnQ6yb3TfwUGc9pbAiMxE-AWMPXyra1xMuHF3c7DdI9OWP9wt0VJzyAWZi8-UFCTrcV7mpCI_ZCJBHoFBbVM-Jt1IPK5lf2LxLbHlpG4PB_Pz8qRLKeHPNx4PMgdkn6ODBYqx-q1oVBkGO3xwAuA99wjDP90514PPba6OBI6L9h24CzdxcB-tVLKvVwMAQ88icDMBfMB61mJaYZDIOq_JgMkGvJ9wuhhdVPqzhXK3El4nxeT7lbYTecOEn3_D4YZIqlbqeFI9NNmxmPOeBrufZfVh5TPRVF9IeHDnKln9cvd1qBYlQSq4RvpGS9ChVxJzs5GLSneCG-VsofFQ5q6m-UUX9VeBj5aeXObjxLaDGPLt4gady0oPBLRVwnIkWFG_qcwg1tBCQlqopsclpjEO0M1wdLYB0V8c_E6J--X49b-wUNEcUYd19o2ykmjK1P80vNTxTsSwbkDLeNxBY_fAV35emWbmah9ylnCyKpAIzNBVnch0sedcPX6H97WRDgosEaCoDD70VEeTRpQPgSRy4xYhIJJRv3Kf5vkf5nh5ugva7ypBDKhYgl9FxPVkiFRvVR2nsoHEVpsdqsdIm_F6hx3MgohVrWqSTVgNogM9SxwV5gWHGbDOcvQ1wktHIHvF7AX3_TvSmyxsg=w2560-h1928-s-no

Kept 2 Mandarins in a 14g for about 1 year now no problems. Other pod eaters in the tank is a neon cleaner goby, I think you should be fine in a tank that large.

There are few things cooler than a fat happy manderin dragonnet perusing a tank.

I don't know the answer to if you would have issues but I plan to add one to my 75g eventually. The nice thing is they display their weight well so it is easy to see if they are dropping or gaining. You could do like Bob and add live food if you notice any early decline while you are still working out the training? Biota might already be pre-trained?

Alrighty, thanks all, sounds like I'm good to go! I've cultured pods for awhile, and though it's seemingly straightforward, I realized it was another thing to look at, shake, rotate, ... frequently which made me eventually punt on it.

Adding one is back on my TODO list, though I'll probably wait a bit due to funds and such. Thanks!

Back