Jestersix

Marc's 33g Oceanic Cube Tank

Marc

Hello All!

I'm new to the SW side and though I would start a journal to record my progress and maybe ask some questions to the more experienced members here.

So I have a 33 gal tank that I'm going to convert to SW. I also have 150w MH pendant that I think will work nicely over the tank. Ian recommended I get a Phoenix Bulb for it.

Skimmer and Sump Question - Ive heard I can get by with a "good" HOB skimmer...something like a Deltec. My question is - should I just go with a sump? Equipment is not cheap so I'd rather do it right from the start to avoid spending more money finding out later that a sump would have been the better way to go. I would imagine that a sump is a good way to get equipment out of the tank but what other useful purpose does it serve? Biological filtration?

Substrate - I really like the look of a bare bottom tank. Pros and Cons?

I'll post up pictures of the tank these next few days...

PS - Whats a good paint to use to paint the back ground?

Hey Marc... I have the life Reef Sump and Skimmer setup that I am selling. If you are interest in it I'll give you a good friend discount :) Here are some information: http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html.

The sump size is 24" x 13" x 14". It comes with skimmer (Lifereef VS2-24). It has holder for Ph probe, media cylinders (this setup will come with a custom three media cylinders... The Skimmer pump is the quietOne 3000.--

If you are ready for rock I have some for you but you need to setup that tank up soon before all of the good rocks are gone.

Krylon fusion for the background, Marc.

You can find it in the spray section at Walmart (pretty sure it's exclusive to them; haven't seen them elsewhere).

With bare bottom tanks, you can run more flow in the tank without kicking the sand around. It's also easier to see where the detritus build up is and siphon it out. Cons would be that it doesn't look as natural as with sand, but it's something that you get over with easily. If you can't get use to the look, then add it back in (easier to add than to remove).

I prefer using sumps just to remove the equipment from the tank. Depending on how the sump is designed, but you can get reactors (phosban and carbon), heater, protein skimmer, refugium, auto top off, and dosing (optional) out of sight.

What's the dimensions of that tank again?

Eric - in regards to filtration in the sump. What other things are needed? Bio balls maybe? I think my brother inlaw runs a filter sock? Does the coral and all the living stuff on the rocks serve any type of biological filtration like FW plants?

The tank dimension is L 19 x W 21 x H 32. It doesnt have a large foot print and I'm guessing that the rocks will take most of the space up.

If I do get a sump - I'm gonna have to drill the back glass. Ian recommended an over flow box that comes with all the hardware and even glass drill bit.

Hey Boun,

Can you PM me the price you are asking also whats used the in the media cylinders? phosban, carbon and something else?

Don't need the bioballs. Filter socks are cool, if you plan on cleaning them regularly (they junk up over time and if they're not clean, it just goes back into your water.

The rocks that you use in reef tanks, they're also called live rock. They serve in a similar fashion like plants do in fwp.

Go with an overflow box. I have to dig through my stuff to see if I still have a spare one that I was using awhile back. Also, the reason why I'm asking about the tank dimensions is that from what I remember, the footprint of the tank is rather small and it's more vertical. Your dimensions confirms it and rules out the Lifereef sump that Boun has (24" long), unless you decide to put it on a stand with a bigger footprint.

Eric, decided to go with Bouns sump / skimmer set up. It sounds to be probably bigger than I might need but for the price it's hard to say no.

I'm gonna pick it up Sunday prolly at Bills house. I won't be able to stay long, just enough to say hi to everyone and ask some recomendation regarding the sump set up.

Should work well with a larger stand for the sump to fit under (maybe put a rim on the stand top).

Also found my CPR CS50 overflow box if you want to use that.

Ibn said:
Should work well with a larger stand for the sump to fit under (maybe put a rim on the stand top).

Also found my CPR CS50 overflow box if you want to use that.

Sure Eric, I'll give it a go. One less thing to need for this set up. thanks man! Did you want to sell it to me? :bigsmile:

Question - Did you use an aqua lifter to keep the siphon steady?

BTW I think I'll have time to swing by Bill's place before the game. I'm going to pick up the sump from Boun as well.

Nah, no worries. Let me know if you need more information than what we chatted about yesterday.

Also, Ian informed me that you want to use an Eheim 1060 for a return? Might want to reconsider that considering the size and power of that pump. I'm currently using an Ocean Runner 2500 on my system and love it. Quiet like an Eheim but at a fraction of the costs.

Eric, Marc never said he wanted it. Boun just was thinking Marc might want to use it. I told Boun it was a bad idea.

BTW fellas, thanks for all the great deals and spare equipment. I really appreciate it. I dont think I would have gone salt w/o your help.

Ive been thinking about the over flow and return on the tank. I figure I better decide before the tank gets filled and I end up doing more work.

I love the idea of the HOB overflow Eric is going to let me use. It means I don't have to put an internal overflow in an already small footprint tank or drill. But I do have concerns over it in the back of my head since I've never really used one. Hypothetically, if I lose siphon on the HOB overflow, will the return pump pump back all the water in the sump? Wouldn't that cause my tank to overflow? Is there something I'm missing here?

In regards to the pump. I was, if this is possible, going to drill the back pane for a couple of loc line type of returns to avoid adding power heads in the tank. Is this a good idea? Will the Eheim pump still be too strong?

Back