got ethical husbandry?

Max’s 30 gal

Man all this approaches of heavy feeding and slowing down your export system advices has never yielded good long term returns.. learn from this and avoid these approaches.
Yeah I wasn’t sure what else to do with the bottomed out nutrients and just poly pad as filtration. In hindsight I would have tested more often, but I dealt with a mixture of laziness and not wanting to use all my reagent up quickly.
That is the ultimate conundrum- how heavy or lightly do you feed to maintain a certain amount of nutrients? How long to take exports offline? I'll never figure it out, so I stick to what I know: feed normally, use big skimmer, carbon dose, micro adjustments on N03 and P04 dosing depending on test readings taken every three days.
The biggest question I have is the timeline for food to breakdown to NO3 and PO4, I fed heavy for awhile without seeing any changes in nutrient levels and then suddenly they were elevated and I believe that rapid change led to some tissue loss, I’m just shocked it was the stylos and not any of the acros but maybe that’s a testament to aquaculture frags? Stylos were aquaculture too though.
I'm curious - what kind of torch?
Highlighter torch from endeavor aquatics on eBay
EAC8375A-3A52-418C-BB0A-ADB6CF0A33CC.jpeg

Heavy feeding caught up on me and now NO3 is in the hard to read spot between 10-25 and PO4 is above the range of my ULR Hanna checker. This increase lead to some stn on my blue and watermelon stylo as well as some tissue loss on my leptos. Acros are all looking great though.

I’m going to try to get the nutrients lower again and find a better balance and will be getting a pellet auto feeder to add consistency in hopes of stability.
Thats why I think dosing might be better and more controllable. According to my salifert my nitrat is .1. Which I think is too low? Didn't check phos

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thats why I think dosing might be better and more controllable. According to my salifert my nitrat is .1. Which I think is too low? Didn't check phos

Yeah I’m tempted to go auto feeder for pellets and dose PO4 and no4 but I would need another dosing head to add PO4.

Really I need to be more patient and let the tank settle in, but with the amount of coral I have in there I just want to be as stable as possible while the tank becomes more established.

Yeah I’m tempted to go auto feeder for pellets and dose PO4 and no4 but I would need another dosing head to add PO4.

Really I need to be more patient and let the tank settle in, but with the amount of coral I have in there I just want to be as stable as possible while the tank becomes more established.
There is a ratio not sure what it is. Maybe you can put both in same container

Brown jelly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, the flesh was receded when I got it and I probably should have done a DOA but I had read that daily dips could work and I wanted to try it. The one I lost was a purple with white tips and it appeared to have BJD but Im not positive. The picture I posted earlier was taken today, that highlighter is doing pretty well, I think PE could be better but better than being dead....

I need to focus on the SPS instead of mixing this reef up it’s been hard to create the proper flow and light for both in the size of tank I’ve got and with my desire to only put pumps on the back wall to keep display sides open. I just wanted some motion while the acros are all tiny.

I’m just happy the BC acros are all still looking good, I need to get the nutrients under control though

What could raise the tank above ambient room temp? My heater is rarely on with the current heatbut my tank is currently 80.4°. Only things I think could add heat are the powerheads, UV, or return pump since my lighting is LED and there isn’t anything else in the tank.

Ambient room temp is 75 and heaters are set to keep the tank at 77

I wonder if the heat was a part of the issue? But sadly GHL still hasn’t pushed the update to pmini to chart temp, I’m pissed off about that lack of support from them. It’s bullshit they released a product without one of the most important features, logging temp and pH and their latest excuse is they’re focused on the ion director. But how hard would it be to push the functionality to chart on other profilux models to the pmini, unless they built it entirely different than any of their other hardware which I doubt. Maybe I can email them and get a discount on a real Profilux

What could raise the tank above ambient room temp? My heater is rarely on with the current heatbut my tank is currently 80.4°. Only things I think could add heat are the powerheads, UV, or return pump since my lighting is LED and there isn’t anything else in the tank.

Ambient room temp is 75 and heaters are set to keep the tank at 77

I wonder if the heat was a part of the issue? But sadly GHL still hasn’t pushed the update to pmini to chart temp, I’m pissed off about that lack of support from them. It’s bullshit they released a product without one of the most important features, logging temp and pH and their latest excuse is they’re focused on the ion director. But how hard would it be to push the functionality to chart on other profilux models to the pmini, unless they built it entirely different than any of their other hardware which I doubt. Maybe I can email them and get a discount on a real Profilux
I bet u can. U should try and move to P4 if you can. That thing is a beast..

I bet u can. U should try and move to P4 if you can. That thing is a beast..
I sent them an email explaining how disappointed I’ve been with it and told them I want to return it or get a deep discount on a p4 if they won’t provide software to make it work the way it was sold to work. It’s a $350 inkbird at this point.
I love the ghl doser and am glad I got a stand alone so I’m not stuck in their product family. It’s disappointing that they are so close to having an excellent product with the but can’t cross the finish line

I sent them an email explaining how disappointed I’ve been with it and told them I want to return it or get a deep discount on a p4 if they won’t provide software to make it work the way it was sold to work. It’s a $350 inkbird at this point.
I love the ghl doser and am glad I got a stand alone so I’m not stuck in their product family. It’s disappointing that they are so close to having an excellent product with the but can’t cross the finish line
Goes back to my personal rule, soend money to save money lolagree with you, so far all GHL products i experinced been amazing, I thino the mini is something I am not aire yet where it fit in this industry. Its almost always, the reefer will need more than what the mini provides. Granted when they release the sw update, this statement will be diffrent and i actually think the mini will be very powerful for the buck..but without the update, that is not the case...

Goes back to my personal rule, soend money to save money lolagree with you, so far all GHL products i experinced been amazing, I thino the mini is something I am not aire yet where it fit in this industry. Its almost always, the reefer will need more than what the mini provides. Granted when they release the sw update, this statement will be diffrent and i actually think the mini will be very powerful for the buck..but without the update, that is not the case...
They gave me such a cop out response stating that I purchased the pmini knowing what features it had as laid out on their site. It’s like a lawyer wrote it for them. So disappointing. they said to look at marine depot to purchase a p4. I’m shocked they could have such a shitty response, what an example of what not to do for Customer service. I’ve purchased a fair amount of GHL equipment in a short period of time and this is how I’m treated? I guess I’d need a few thousand Instagram followers to get a proper response...they give those guys free shit all the time and can’t even offer a discount to an existing customer.

They gave me such a cop out response stating that I purchased the pmini knowing what features it had as laid out on their site. It’s like a lawyer wrote it for them. So disappointing. they said to look at marine depot to purchase a p4. I’m shocked they could have such a shitty response, what an example of what not to do for Customer service. I’ve purchased a fair amount of GHL equipment in a short period of time and this is how I’m treated? I guess I’d need a few thousand Instagram followers to get a proper response...they give those guys free shit all the time and can’t even offer a discount to an existing customer.
Did u talked to vinny? I always get a discount code from him when I ping him

Did u talked to vinny? I always get a discount code from him when I ping him
I emailed sales@ghlusa.com

I might have too high of expectations but after spending over a grand on GhL gear in the last 6 months I’m upset they were so formal and unhelpful with their response. Not a good customer experience

this was their response:
Charting on the P Mini is still on the to do list. We have this among and other features planned for the product. What you purchased is a 100% complete product, current features and capabilities are listed on the product page. All these details are front and center. Any additional features which come afterwards are a bonus and were disclosed prior to purchasing.

If you wish to utilize the full feature set of the ProfiLux, the P4 would be a suitable option. The P4 provides more expansion options than the Mini and Apex. The Mini also has a completely different target audience than the Apex.

Should you choose to move over to a P4, we have these currently at dealers such as Marine Depot and also through our online shop.

Should you choose to move over to a P4, we have these currently at dealers such as Marine Depot and also through our online shop.

From the GhL site:
“ProfiLux Mini WiFi

• Measures and controls pH-value
  • Measures and controls temperature“

I guess I was supposed to know that measure doesn’t mean logging. Because adding functionality to store a variable is obviously way out of scope. What a joke. It’s like they got worried the pmini would steal market share from their more expensive controllers so they limited the feature set to separate them more.

I emailed sales@ghlusa.com

I might have too high of expectations but after spending over a grand on GhL gear in the last 6 months I’m upset they were so formal and unhelpful with their response. Not a good customer experience

this was their response:
Charting on the P Mini is still on the to do list. We have this among and other features planned for the product. What you purchased is a 100% complete product, current features and capabilities are listed on the product page. All these details are front and center. Any additional features which come afterwards are a bonus and were disclosed prior to purchasing.

If you wish to utilize the full feature set of the ProfiLux, the P4 would be a suitable option. The P4 provides more expansion options than the Mini and Apex. The Mini also has a completely different target audience than the Apex.

Dude just contact vinny. Lets see what he can do.

Dude just contact vinny. Lets see what he can do.
I think I can find a work around to log the temp data myself. I’m going to try that before spending more money with them, the hardware is capable so I’m just frustrated I’m limited by their slow development. While I understand the world is going through crazy stuff, this seems like a 1 day project to copy the functionality from their other devices to the pmini.

I think I can find a work around to log the temp data myself. I’m going to try that before spending more money with them, the hardware is capable so I’m just frustrated I’m limited by their slow development. While I understand the world is going through crazy stuff, this seems like a 1 day project to copy the functionality from their other devices to the pmini.
Yes careful of evaluating what is a 1 day project.
Scale, resources and cross functional dependencies drive schedules and road maps...
But I totally see and agree with your frustration..

My advice just contact vinny. He is awesome

Yes careful of evaluating what is a 1 day project.
Scale, resources and cross functional dependencies drive schedules and road maps...
But I totally see and agree with your frustration..

My advice just contact vinny. He is awesome
Good point. It just bums me out to have a product which has good hardware getting held back by software. I’ll email Vinny tonight though, whoever responded to me earlier didn’t even sign their name so I doubt it was him.

Pretty neat to see the inside structure of this nepthea being fragged. Like the last time I fragged this, immediate reaction is the frag is opening up polyps and the main colony is pissed off and closed up. This time I’m hoping it heals quicker since it was only one cut
5DCD979E-E05E-4A56-B3D7-8006A0792B6C.jpeg

Back