High Tide Aquatics

Mg Kit

test kit?

I've tried the ELOS Mg kit and the Salifert. I've had multiple copies of each test kit, and the Salifert has been much better for me, since it's a lot more controlled and "accurate" The ELOS one gives you a general idea of your Mg, but for sticklers like us, the Salifert makes you more confident having precise measuring tools and giving you more accuracy. The ELOS uses a lot of non syringe type amounts of mixes, so you're never sure how good a "drop" of something is, as opposed to the Salifert syringes that are super accurate.

I also don't think the Salifert is any harder to use than the others.

That's my experience anyway =) BTW my Mg is low, 1200ppm now, poo. gotta start dosing! Let me know if you wanna borrow my test kit to try out if you haven't tried them before. I have both ELOS and Salifert.

kinetic said:
test kit?

I've tried the ELOS Mg kit and the Salifert. I've had multiple copies of each test kit, and the Salifert has been much better for me, since it's a lot more controlled and "accurate" The ELOS one gives you a general idea of your Mg, but for sticklers like us, the Salifert makes you more confident having precise measuring tools and giving you more accuracy. The ELOS uses a lot of non syringe type amounts of mixes, so you're never sure how good a "drop" of something is, as opposed to the Salifert syringes that are super accurate.

I also don't think the Salifert is any harder to use than the others.

That's my experience anyway =) BTW my Mg is low, 1200ppm now, poo. gotta start dosing! Let me know if you wanna borrow my test kit to try out if you haven't tried them before. I have both ELOS and Salifert.

+1 for Salifert.

Salifert failed me, my mag test from my salifert test kit was 1100, so I added mag, and added mag but the reading goes up no more than 1200. I borrowed a buddy's salifert Mag test kit and my mag was above 1500 wtf...., am trying out elos, but Elos is a pain to use so I am not sure. I don't want to count the number of drops two different times and then make subtraction and then multiply ... pretty crappy if you ask me.

the reefstatus is a full blown (and proper imo) test kit.

for mag, the instructions are like:
1) get water sample in measuring cup and transfer to precipitation cup
2) add 2 drops of reagent A, mix and let it precipitate the calcium
3) put cotton ball in "strainer" funnel
4) pour solution from step #2 through funnel into titration vial (I hate the shape of it) and let it drip till the line (dump excess)
5) add indicator and titrate with syringe till color change

Gomer said:

for mag, the instructions are like:
1) get water sample in measuring cup and transfer to precipitation cup
2) add 2 drops of reagent A, mix and let it precipitate the calcium
3) put cotton ball in "strainer" funnel
4) pour solution from step #2 through funnel into titration vial (I hate the shape of it) and let it drip till the line (dump excess)
5) add indicator and titrate with syringe till color change

Yep that is the science kit one. Every time I use it my wife looks at me funny..... well funnier then how she normally looks at me when I am doing something tank related.

I follow BRS's instructions and when my Twopart bottles are empty, I add the Mag mix per instructions and pray. 0:)
It's looking I need to adopt a more scientific methodology. :tired:

Gomer said:

Yep. That's the one I went to after the Salifert problems.

Reefstatus is the only Mg kit I use now. Easy enough to use, good precision, inexpensive.

The EDTA solution tends to run out before the other reagents. We should figure out the concentration and make up our own.

interesting! I never knew about the Reefstatus kit. I'll try that next. Does anybody know of any Mg reference solutions?

Back