High Tide Aquatics

Microbubbles and RTN

kinetic

Supporting Member
Two of my corals (happen to be the ORA acropora corals) start sloshing off tissue right after I swap out my filter socks. What happens is they get hit with a ton of microbubbles because ELOS sumps have zero micro bubble trapping. Anyway, I notice that when the microbubbles go nuts in the tank, these two corals start slewing off their tissue in strings of slime.

It's not pretty. The other corals all seem fine and happy.

pH looks fine off two lab grade pH probes, fish are happy, all other acros are happy as well.

I rinsed the socks in some RO/DI water first too, just in case.

Any ideas?

I dunno if it's the microbubbles... but ironically the only corals which have RTNed on me as of recent were the "grown in captivity" ORA corals, had a nice looking Purple Plasma too.

Are the corals sloughing off slime, or tissue? I know when there is a temporary surge of micro bubbles in my tank some of my SPS just start sliming up. Haven't lost one to it yet though ... I figure they get it worse in the wild ;)

I don't think its the micro bubbles either. I have my vortech high enough to suck in air every once in a while (creates lots of micro bubbles) on purpose. It seems to make my tank happier.

I highly doubt it has anything at all to do with microbubbles Art. As Anthony said, most these get far more bubbles in the wild. Many people around the world use surges which produce far more bubbles then your set-up. It's probably do to too much fiddling, at least that's been my experience :)

it's definitely mostly slime, but soon after the tissue starts coming off. After I stop fiddling, the corals are fine, though you can see where all the tissue had come off (starting from the coralites).

Crappy =(

Back