Jestersix

Mold(?) or Algae growing in mixing container

newfly

Supporting Member
Normal brute container placed inside the cabinet. I have a lid on all the time. Once a week I’ll fill up with RODI , turn on the pump and add salt. Let it sit for a day and use the fresh water for WC. What you see in the pic is the ‘leftover’ saltwater.

I’m tired of cleaning container. Any idea how to prevent this? It also emit some unpleasant smell.

Attachments

• 3B918498-50B0-46EF-9B0F-3903C1D7830E.jpeg
    3B918498-50B0-46EF-9B0F-3903C1D7830E.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 109
What does it feel like when you touch it? Is it collecting in scratches in brute or is that pattern just random? Looks like it is a scratch gathering whatever particles are swirling around the container. I know Reef Crystals has something added to coagulate impurities which then precipitate out, looks like a dusting of brown on my bin but we may have different flow patterns/pumps, etc. I clean it out every few batches of water and let it settle before pulling water out. Didn't think IO has that added because its not sold for reeftanks, but maybe it does now or it is just in the current batches. Only the fancy salts are Pharmaceutical Grade clean.

If it was mold, you would have stains in the brute above your current water line from when the water was at a higher level, so I suspect its a particulate in the water. Check your impeller just in case it is grinding itself up, but probably salt impurities. If you don't clean the containers, you end up with a crust everywhere eventually.

Last edited:
Regular IO leaves brownish slime for me every batch (been using it for the past 2 years but I've debated switching). I've heard of people either scraping it out once a year when it becomes a thick cake, or having a filter inline with their mixing pump.

Your choices are:

1. Ignore it
2. Clean it when you can’t ignore it anymore
3. Use a good salt like Tropic Marin Pro

I am just finishing up the last IO bag. Have a 200g tropic marin pro in the storage room.
Regular IO leaves brownish slime for me every batch (been using it for the past 2 years but I've debated switching). I've heard of people either scraping it out once a year when it becomes a thick cake, or having a filter inline with their mixing pump.

I use IO for years in my previous fish only setup. this looks different

1. Previously the deposit is at the bottom of the tank, not at the rim
2. It doesn;t smell. Now it kinda stink

I sure hope its specific to IO salt. 1 or 2 more WC, and i'll switch to TMP. I have been using TM Classic in this tank since 2020.

What does it feel like when you touch it? Is it collecting in scratches in brute or is that pattern just random? Looks like it is a scratch gathering whatever particles are swirling around the container. I know Reef Crystals has something added to coagulate impurities which then precipitate out, looks like a dusting of brown on my bin but we may have different flow patterns/pumps, etc. I clean it out every few batches of water and let it settle before pulling water out. Didn't think IO has that added because its not sold for reeftanks, but maybe it does now or it is just in the current batches. Only the fancy salts are Pharmaceutical Grade clean.

If it was mold, you would have stains in the brute above your current water line from when the water was at a higher level, so I suspect its a particulate in the water. Check your impeller just in case it is grinding itself up, but probably salt impurities. If you don't clean the containers, you end up with a crust everywhere eventually.

Thanks. I haven't actually touch it. :) I typically do a vinegar rinse and wipe down with a cloth. I'll do a closer inspection the next time i clean the mixing container.

When you say it emits an unpleasant smell, is that in general you can smell it in the room? Or if you stick your head deep into it and get a whiff? Personally I go with Jon's #1 solution, just ignore it. Saltwater that comes pre-made with life, people pay good money to get that out of the ocean! :D

When you say it emits an unpleasant smell, is that in general you can smell it in the room? Or if you stick your head deep into it and get a whiff?

When i open the lid to add salt. I don;t smell in the room since

1, i have a lid on
2. Its in a cabinet

Yeah, i'll leave it as-is, clean it before i switch to TM Pro

Back