Neptune Aquatics

Most efficient/cheapest way of purchasing frag tiles?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
I've been purchasing frag tiles as-needed for a while by getting individual bags from Neptune, BRS, or Amazon. Anybody have a rec for a more efficient/bulk purchase option they'd recommend?

I’ve tried cheaper options and gone back to Oceans Wonders aragonite plugs/tiles for most of my fragging. I think they work great on the fragging end and also on the receiving end. I don’t like the hard frag mounts like ceramic tiles because they are hard to deal with when you receive them.

Someone local was making large round frag discs, I think out of thin cement. They gave away a bunch at a frag swap maybe 3 years or so ago. Those were actually great for some applications because they were larger and easy to get a clean break if needed, I wish I knew who made them and if they are still available to buy.

I’ve tried cheaper options and gone back to Oceans Wonders aragonite plugs/tiles for most of my fragging. I think they work great on the fragging end and also on the receiving end. I don’t like the hard frag mounts like ceramic tiles because they are hard to deal with when you receive them.

Someone local was making large round frag discs, I think out of thin cement. They gave away a bunch at a frag swap maybe 3 years or so ago. Those were actually great for some applications because they were larger and easy to get a clean break if needed, I wish I knew who made them and if they are still available to buy.

John, you might be referring to Xue Vang. Found him a few years back and he provided samples to us, which we made available to members.

You can check it out on his website: https://www.reefway.org/store/c2/Plugs_and_Discs.html#/

I do like the aragonite plugs from them. After going through thirty of them in less than a week I got annoyed and decided I'd just need to figure out if there was a better way to get them in bulk.

@IOnceWasLegend what size/shape frag tiles are you looking for?
I'm transitioning from eggcrate to barebottom in my frag tank, so flat discs. My favorites so far have been the 1 to 1.5" oceans wonder aragonite frag plugs, though I'm also looking to get large 3" discs for some of my other corals (favias mainly).

John, you might be referring to Xue Vang. Found him a few years back and he provided samples to us, which we made available to members.

You can check it out on his website: https://www.reefway.org/store/c2/Plugs_and_Discs.html#/
For shrooms and encrusting corals I prefer the frag discs from Xue aka Reefway. They are thin enough so you can use cutting pliers or the band saw. His 3D printed mushrooms boxes are great too.

For zoas I prefer using Johnny aka Jester6 small domes.

If you want cheapest and in bulk look on eBay.

I buy in bulk from Alternative Reef, and could help put together a group buy with discount if folks are interested, or you could just buy some off me if you don’t need a lot (PM me). Here are 1.5 & 2” disks and 3” tiles. These are kiln fired ceramic. Disks are 3/16” thick and tiles are not quite 3/16” which makes them easier on the band saw. I grow encrusters mostly on square tiles because then I can use the corners as “handles” when I need to move then around or they go under the bandsaw.
83910DD0-0A87-4098-BFC1-0A9527543A20.jpeg

Ive bought a 1 batch a while ago, found a guy from facebook/Instagram (The Magical Reef)
Shipping was $9 but can fit 200plugs in 1 shipment.
received_702835823582033.jpeg
received_661509201256940.jpeg
received_208445700325717.jpeg

We have tried mussel, oyster, and snail shells. Snail shells worked the best but didn't seem good for frags, since recipients might fear pests lurking inside. Frags attached and grew better on the oyster shell outer side (not the inside nacre) than on mussel shells. Maybe the oyster had a thicker calcium layer. Haven't tried using shells in a couple years but think it would be fun to try again this year.

Seashells sound nice but for fragging you need a nice flat bottom so you can scrape critters off before sawing, otherwise you get bits of critter spraying from the saw.

Back