High Tide Aquatics

MRK 100g Display (Born 9-1-09)

Elite said:
Sure.. if you are in SJ :) .. during weekday before 1PM would be good..

I think your picture look great though :D ..

i suk at coral pictures, and yours are much nicer imho.
It may entail a small field trip once or twice, ill pm u details

Ok so i had aquascaped the tank in clowdy water, with zero tank lights, and it came out fairly ok.
heres some peeks at the initial BETA VERSION OF MY TANKS AQUASCAPE.

I put my 2 175 15k XMs on just to get it lit, cause i was chomping at the bit to see it completely lit...
I still want to fine tune a tad, maybe take out some rock, but here it is as it sits tonight, 20 min after turning on the lights.

FTS pumps on the right are temp, as it was totally cloudy on sand addition, as i did not wash it as well as i had hoped
09-03-09a.JPG

right side sand shelf, i may make the front edge less tall but its working like i had hoped it would so far.
09-03-09b.JPG

From the left front with the cave action and rockwork flow. Im really happy with this area at the moment,
09-03-09c.JPG

from the left view panel, its soooo much deeper than my 55, im so stoked!!
09-03-09d.JPG

Ok a comparison with the lit back, and below without lit..
09-03-09e.JPG

09-03-09f.JPG

The overflow is quieter than I had previously,
09-03-09g.JPG

and theres a lil built in ring to fan out the water.
09-03-09h.JPG

which is removable, for cleaning, or wrapping a pad around for temp mechanical filter....ect
09-03-09i.JPG

So I am going to be making a sand shelf for someone, as i was asked very nicely, anyone else interested?
It would be easier to make 2 at a time than one, then another after....

You Just cover materials

lemmeknow

Looks nice Wil. On the lightbox/background part: is it a piece of acrylic that's blue, did you paint it blue, or did you just leave the sheet on it? And is the sheet up against the back glass, or is it maybe a little bit off from it? How thick? Sorry, just asking but I'll probably end up doing something like this on my tank too.

Thanks.

phishphood said:
Looks nice Wil. On the lightbox/background part: is it a piece of acrylic that's blue, did you paint it blue, or did you just leave the sheet on it? And is the sheet up against the back glass, or is it maybe a little bit off from it? How thick? Sorry, just asking but I'll probably end up doing something like this on my tank too.

Thanks.

Light box is a removable frame of 1" X 3" pine (so its 3" deep)
One side has a Blue acrilic sheet, cur to the same size as the back viewpane.
(how thick..id have to pull it to measure, but it was the thinnest "colored" piece tap has in stock)
the other side of the "pine frame" has a doorskin plywood panel, that is painted with chrome paint, as to reflect the extra light (HUGE DIFFERENCE!)

the light is sitting on top, where the top pine frame would go (but it was left off).
So basically its 3 pieces of the frame forming a "U" with an open top.

this whole thing is set right against the back glass viewpane.
07-06-09f.JPG

07-06-09g.JPG

Id be happy to show u the piece, and how I mounted it anytime in person.
4 bar people have been here to see it already...lol, all are welcome.

Man I've been missing on this; the last picture with the stand empty looks like a museum after it closed; nice turn out on the stand and canopy; rock work well, ROCKS !!
I'll be copying your overflow for a little 20G long but might use ABS since is already black.
Did you use the miter saw to create the teeth?
BTW I saw the tanks at AT in San Bruno, think he's the importer of those tanks; they look clean and have beveled and polished edges.

Otakuthugster said:
Man, that sand shelf is crazy. It's like McDonalds 'cause I'm lovin' it.

Got to be kidding me, it's like Burger King, he's having it his way !!

Patent on the sand shelf before someone grabs the idea and makes tons of money!!

Hey Wil, just a FYI... flat white paint reflects better then chrome paint :)

GreshamH said:
Hey Wil, just a FYI... flat white paint reflects better then chrome paint :)

yeah, i had the chrome paint in the "paint box" i grabbed from storage, and figured id try it.

flat white reflects more of a even light (spread even) right?, as opposed to a reflective color that reflects more directed (less fill) ??

i know the inside of my hood is ultra bright (flat white sealer in it)

kvosstra said:
Already used in public - cant get a patent...Plus, it would most likely be "obvious." However, the tank does look amazing! You all should head to SJ and see it your selves!

Used in public, at the "store"? or somewhere else?

made one for Steve, hope he posts pictures.
options still open to make one for anyone who wants one.

"public" basically means that you showed it to another person without having them be in confidence of your idea. However, I forgot the other element - that you then must file 1 year from that first public disclosure. So, you have 1 year from the date of when you first showed it to another to file an application, which is very expensive.

Still, more likely a "shelf" would be obvious to make. Patent is probably a bit expensive for this type of product, since the returns are likely to be low anyway - instead, get it to market (if that's the goal), trademark the name in some witty way, and be the known brand for such product.

...back to work...late night here - need to save brain cells to try to think clearly.

Back