Jestersix

Mushroom and Zoas in Bare Bottom tank .. bad idea?

newfly

Supporting Member
I have zero experience with reefing. Mushroom and Zoas seems to be hardly good beginner coral. However, i am concern it may grow out of control in a bare bottom setup like mine.

How fast do they grow and it is easy to trim back ? Or am i over concern about this.

Alternatively, I could add a very thin 0.5inch layer of sand, and put the shroom and zoas on a island. I do like how clean bare bottom is. Having a shallow layer of substrate means i have to vacuum the sand. My water change now is literally 2 mins.

They are pretty easy to scrape off of glass like a bare bottom. Just have a plan for if/when they cross a certain point you will frag them back. When they start over growing each other on a rock is when they are harder to deal with.

If I put them on a rock island , and once they outgrow to the glass bottom , can I move the rock and scrape off whatever grown on the glass? This will limit the growth on the rock. Any downside to this plan?

I would concur with the above, low risk but of course follow best practices to be safest.

I would say using the razor blade against the glass maybe even a little safer, since you wouldn’t have to disturb them as much as you would if you were fragging from rock

I run bare bottom and have zoas placed to spread on the bottom glass. Like others said it should be easy to scrape them off to frag or limit growth.

So far I’ve only had the gsp reach the glass and it’s like a breath of fresh air scrapping it off the back wall compared to trying to get it off a rock.

Just don’t ever frag palys when you have a cut anywhere on your hand or arm. I think I had palytoxin once because I pricked my hand either on an urchin or bristleworm right before handling palys. My finger was numb for a day or two, that feeling like it’s in a vice and the sensation is getting cut off. Not pleasant.

Just don’t ever frag palys when you have a cut anywhere on your hand or arm. I think I had palytoxin once because I pricked my hand either on an urchin or bristleworm right before handling palys. My finger was numb for a day or two, that feeling like it’s in a vice and the sensation is getting cut off. Not pleasant.

Palys and Zoa are two different species , right?

Back