Our mission

My 1g reef

Tank:
- Aquarium Masters 1g glass tank

Heater & Thermostat:
- Jr. Aquatics 7.5w Junior Heater
- Ranco single stage thermostat, set to 78*F (ranges 77-82*F)

Light:
- Coralife Mini Aqualight CF hood, 2x 9w 6.5K (10hrs daily)

Pump:
- Aquarium Systems Mini-Jet pump, set to max flow

Other thing-a-majig:
- Nimble Nano magnetic cleaner

Current (5/09) inhabitants:
- 4 types of Zoanthids
- Candy Cane
- Green Star Polyps
- Bird's Nest
- 1 Ricordea shroom
- Toadstool Leather
- 4 Xenia polyps
- 1 Rhodactis shroom
- 4 Discosoma shroom
- 1 Pseudocorynactis shroom
- 2 Blue legged hermits
- lots of Asterina and brittle stars
- lots of sponges
- 1 piece of Halimeda (I just can't eradicate this stuff)

I started this tank in the beginning of Sept. '08. I had it running with live rock rubble for a month or so before putting in 2 mushrooms and 7-8 Zoanthid polyps. In mid Oct, I introduced a sprig of Halymenia? type macroalgae as well as a strand of Caulerpa.

The pic below was taken on 11-16-2008.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/11-16-2008.JPG

Hi Patrick,

Nice little tank. :) Is that an old picture? I don't see all that you said is in it. I find it amazing that you keep a teeny tiny marine tank considering how hard it is for me to keep my 12 gal.; as far as it needs constant attention to keep it stable.

There's quite a bit of fluctuations in this set-up (pH, salinity, temperature...etc). The pH usually starts off at 7.6 in the morning and reaches 8.0 or so by late afternoon. Salinity starts off at around 34-35 and by the end of the week it is usually up close to 38-39. I get anywhere from 1/2 to 1in. of evaporation weekly in this open top system. The temperature is around 78*F with the lights off, but once the timer hits 9am the temp starts to creep upwards. During the lighted period my critters are usually marinating at 82*F, sometimes even higher. I generally change 1/3 of the water each week; therefore, the critters living in the upper regions of the tank are subjected to a temporarily 5min. low tide.

Yes, that is an old pic. I am working my way up to the present ;) The following pic was taken on 11-23-2008. I added another piece of rock in an attempt to hide my "plumbing" and to provide a shelf for a colony of pink Zoanthids and a small frag of Montipora digitata. I glued 2 other types of Zoanthids to the face of the slope. What else, what else... oh, tossed in some Halimeda, another species of Caulerpa, 3 heads of Xenia, more Zoas to the right, 2 more mushrooms, 1 orangish Ricordea florida, a chunk of GSP and finally a colony of Bird's Nest. (No Ant, the Bird's Nest is NOT brown! It is the latest... "Chocolate Dream Emu Seriatopora" :bigsmile: )

pslee said:
What else, what else... oh, tossed in some Halimeda, another species of Caulerpa, 3 heads of Xenia, more Zoas to the right, 2 more mushrooms, 1 orangish Ricordea florida, a chunk of GSP and finally a colony of Bird's Nest. (No Ant, the Bird's Nest is NOT brown! It is the latest... "Chocolate Dream Emu Seriatopora" :bigsmile: )

flatworms? hahahahahahah :)

Horde of flatworms, 3-4 Aiptasia, 6-7 bubble algae... almost forgot about my 2 beloved Stomatella snails. Hooray for biodiversity!

Back