Cali Kid Corals

Need ID on two SPS pieces traded from LFS

_MG_6656.jpg

Oregon Blue Tort?

_MG_6662.jpg

Some sort of green acro?

Thanks everyone!

Corallites are that bumpy part that is the skeleton that each individual polyp creates.

blue acro with blue-green polyps *shrug* Not every coral has a brand name.

I am ignorant in many ways and would be ignorant to think otherwise. Don't worry, I didn't get that from your post, it's just a fact I'm learning to deal with as a relative newbie to the reef aquarium hobby. Hopefully no offense taken on either side :)

As I've heard before, the older I get, the less I know. Thanks again.

BTW - Do you see the hair algae forming in the first picture of the "Blue/Purple Tort"? I'm hoping this is just part of the new cycling of my tank.. the tank has only been up and running for a couple weeks, with "cured" liverock. Running GFO and skimmer. I've seen these little spots popping up throughout my liverock in the tank. Would this alarm you? Or, would you consider this as just part of the balancing of a newly cycling tank? Thanks!

Mike

Could be some new tank issues, personally I'd wag my finger at you for putting corals in such a new tank, but what happens happens.

If it were me I might try to pick off as much as possible, but that'd most likely be a losing cause, however in time it should correct itself assuming you keep good practices to make sure the water is as clean as possible.

Patience is still something I'm learning. However, I felt with frequent small water changes, my coral should be able to handle the less than idea conditions of the tank. Also, some pieces were from my BC29, which has been broken down (needed some of the components off the BC29 setup for my 90 gallon).

I'm keeping fingers crossed that nothing will be lost.

The coralite is what the coral polyp is contained in.

All this is in the coralite:
polyp_kennedy.jpg

I have not observed sps growth for that long, but I'm assuming the larger the colony becomes, the more coralites form?

Excellent diagram for explanation, Gresham. I feel like i'm in biology class again :)

Oh by the way, I figured out my GHA problem... When I switched out my old DI Resin with new, I put the cartridge in upside down.

Back