Neptune Aquatics is no longer a sponsor

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Vhuang168, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

So found out today when I went into Neptune's that they are no longer a sponsor.

Are we actively keeping in touch with our sponsers and seeing how to improve our relationship? Lost AC and now Neprune. Both being big influential stores in our area.

Seems a shame. Neptune has been a staunch supporter of ours for many years. Has the BOD received any explanation as to why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

thats sad. i love both of these stores

3. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

What’s the benefit of being a sponsor? Both stores do well already, so I’m guessing it didn’t make business sense for them.

Coral reefer likes this.
  4. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

I was there last week and was told the same thing when I was paying for my purchase. I figured the guy helping me looked pretty new and probably had no idea about the discount, but I was purchasing a $10 frag so I didn’t bother questioning it. I honestly thought it was a mistake because I thought BAR had a great relationship with Neptune.. it would be sad if this was not so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. jorahx4

jorahx4 Supporting Member

I went into Neptune aquatics over the weekend. Wow that store is massive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

They made us aware of this prior to the CFM. The decision was made to continue to promote them at our events, offer them space at frag swaps, put them on our flyers and banners, etc. It would be awesome if everyone that goes in continues to mention BAR and that they dropped by because of stuff seen or heard from other members. Even if they aren't actual sponsors it's an important store in the area and as a club we should support them. Hopefully they will change their mind.

tankguy and Coral reefer like this.
  7. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I didn’t think the cost of our sponsorship was that much.

Coral reefer likes this.
  8. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

Is it fair to the sponsors that currently support our group to advertise a business that is in competition with them but doesn't support our group?

Edgar Sandoval, capescuba and RandyC like this.
  9. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

While I'm happy to support local businesses, I'm not sure how keeping business as usual (website promotion, event promotion, etc) for a non-paying sponsor helps convince them that should become a sponsor again. If BAR is going to do all that stuff for free, why would they ever pay?

daddio likes this.
  10. Vhuang168

I think what we should be asking is why did Neptune stop.

Are we not doing enough to keep the relationship going? Are we protecting his interests?

While it is awesome that we got new sponsors, is it worth loosing Neptune?

Sponsorship is a 2 way street, like most relationships. Neptune supported us by promoting our club, and we support them by driving business their way. When we get 5 stores in the same general area who are our sponsors, who do we support?

11. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

That wasn't their reasoning or the reasoning of AC, but I'll let members of the BOD replay to this as they would like.

12. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Sounds like you know Robert, maybe you should talk to him in person and hear what he has to say. Maybe if more bar members did that he would feel more connected to the club. I personally don’t go there hardly ever due to distance from me.

13. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

It isn’t. We ask for $250 worth of donations per year, which neptunes has always gone above and beyond. They been a great sponsor for a long time.

iCon likes this.
  14. Vhuang168

I did talk to him and these are the concerns he raised with me.

I was surprised to learn about this from him and disappointed that I had to learn about this from him.

15. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

They're around the corner and I'll continue to support them regardless of whether they're sponsors or not. Interesting that Neptune and AC are the only two stores that I frequent, both of which are no longer sponsors, but have been long time supporters of the club.

iCon and Edgar Sandoval like this.
  16. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

I don't think it's about BAR protecting the interests of a particular LFS. It's their business and they need to do that on their own. That's a bigger problem that I believe is beyond the scope of what BAR should be providing. BAR should not be here to police competition or "protect" certain businesses. I don't think a sponsor should be paying BAR to fight their battles or silence member opinions of them or other LFSs. At least I would think that is not what BAR is about.

I believe what BAR has to do is clearly create value for what a sponsor is paying. With so many LFS and other potential sponsors, does it make sense to create a tiered sponsor program (e.g., Platinum, Gold, Silver) that offers a clear list of what each level provides. Is BAR a large enough organization with enough members to do this and have value-add for each tier? I don't know what those levels consist of......thinking out loud, is that better ad placement, more frequent ad placements, more prominent placement of their sponsorship in our booths, having BAR host x number events at their shop, first options to have booths of frags swap. Getting the feedback from AC and Neptune on why they left and what they would like to see to become sponsors again would be an essential item to making sure whatever BAR does offer is valuable to them.

BAR does have to do its part to and make sure if BAR is going to take a sponsor's money, that it holds up its end of the bargain. For example, this is an example of where BAR may be faltering - here is a link off the main page of our current sponsors: http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/bar-sponsors.14198/. It hasn't been updated since 2013 2015.

At any rate, I think this is a topic for the BOD, hopefully, they're planning on taking this up.

Ranjib Dey likes this.
  17. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I’m confused why you are asking questions you seem to think you know the answers to. If these are the things Robert said to you then just state it as that. It’s a shame he feels that way. If we aren’t doing enough for our sponsors then I guess we need more volunteers to help out.
    We added fish doctor in Pacifica as our only new sponsor before he withdrew, so I don’t see that as a valid concern. We have added more since, but I see no reason not to, especially when they are quality stores doing things the right way.
    I have no problem with Aquatic collection or neptunes deciding they don’t want to be sponsors of BAR anymore. They are both great stores, are going to get recommended to people (as they should) and will likely continue to do fine without us. If they don’t want to be a part of the club that’s up to them. We can still be us just fine. If we want to spend more money on things we just have to raise it ourselves.
    There are other stores that likely need our support more if they are going to make it, and I think it benefits the entire feeding community to have more quality lfs in te Bay Area. I think there is plenty of room for more stores than currently exist, and find it hard to believe that competition from other sponsors is a problem for either of the 2 previously mentioned former sponsors.

18. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I agree with most of what you said. It’s hard to work with the lfs sponsors in the ways you mentioned. I’ve offered tables at swaps to all of them numerous times, only jess from diablo has ever taken us up on it, so it’s not that simple of an issue. I think it would take a lot more member effort to work much more with the sponsors then we currently do. I think it would take a dedicated liaison for each sponsor, or maybe two sponsors if they are geographically close to each other, to really stay in touch. I have tried to implement this in the past, but have had pretty lack luster results.

19. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

Mike has hit the nail on the head actually. Both of those stores felt that it was a one-way street and they were ignored (there were a few other issues as well, but that was the main one), but what it comes down to is they were right -- and it was our fault in my opinion. In my eyes, the answers seemed pretty simple until I put myself out to help organize the CFM and found out how little actual support there was from other members.

Simply -- and as Mike stated, " If we aren’t doing enough for our sponsors then I guess we need more volunteers to help out" -- not enough members cared to keep the relationship alive and valuable for both sides. All volunteer clubs have issues with a handful of active members and a plethora of not so active members. Relationships take active measures and we didn't care enough. I've been trying to keep in touch and even post on behalf of our newest sponsors. I've attempted to give them something of value, but it takes a "reef village" to keep our sponsors. Because frankly, the BOD gets frustrated when only a few people even really seem to care. And while I'm at it --- it is also frustrating when even some of the BOD don't seem to care at times. It was pointed out that not a single member of the BOD was there for set-up at the CFM or possibly even running the booth. I personally didn't care because I knew what I was getting myself into, but it bothered some members. Not calling anyone in particular out -- we all have lives that are far more important than a club, but it at least helps to highlight the issue with sponsors -- and events. It's all of our faults -- not just the BOD.

Coral reefer and Kim Pattison like this.
  20. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

i sure hope some new people step up to volunteer in the next few months so we can have a smooth transfer to the future of the club. The current bod has mostly been at it multiple years, and quite frankly it is a rather thankless job. Lots of suggestions, complaints, and ideas,but not so much volunteering and making things happen. If people want the club to be different or better than it is they need to be the change that they want to see.
    This club is obviously different than it was when it started, which is both good and bad. I am different than I was when I joined, the hobby has changed a lot since then. The role of clubs within the hobby has changed as well. It doesn’t make sense for people to point out “this Ian how it used to be” because the reality of the situation is that we are what we are, and all we will Be going forward is what the members who care enough to involve themselves in the process decide to make it. We can be big, small, lot so of events, online only, whatever. It’s unfortunate that we don’t have a ton of computer people doing all the forum stuff all the time, it’s too bad we don’t have a liaison for every lfs sponsor. It’s too bad that we are having trouble finding meeting rooms at chabot. These are not issues any one person can fix by themselves.
    As Bruce said, it takes a village. Time to quit waiting for the bod to take care of everything. If anyone doesn’t like what is or isn’t happening it’s their own fault for not being more involved. I would love to have stepped down As president at the end of 2017, but there isn’t enough interest in people joining the bod for that to happen, so we are all stuck with a president that doesn’t have enough time to do a lot for the club for the rest of the year...oh yeah, we also don’t have a clear president in waiting, although that didn’t work out too well last time i tried it. I will be stepping down at the end of 2018 wether there is a clear bod in place or not. Here’s to hoping that the club will continue on strong as ever with some new leadership blood.