Our mission

New Crazy Addition: Fire Anemone

So I've been eyeing a Fire Anemone for awhile now and finally decided to pull the trigger. He looks amazing. This isn't exactly him, but very close.

(Vendor pic)
763746356_gAV5Y-L.jpg

Right now he's the only inhabitant in a little 5 gallon tank plumbed off my Elos 80. I'm afraid to put him into the larger tanks for fear of him eating and killing a bunch of stuff.

Gonna see how much he moves around and then go from there. Amazing creature. (And yes, I know I can't handle him without gloves. :)

Yup. Some people react horribly to the sting, as in go into shock.

I believe the Genus is: Actinodendron. The colors really are crazy and the tentacles are too. They're all weird and range from feathery, to tentacly to bubbly.

Here's a page on them:
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reef/anemones/HellsFireAnemone.php

Apparently they are pretty hardy anemones, similar in care to BTAs, but as Tony and Gresh mention they have a horrible, nasty sting, many times worse than anything a BTA could do. Thus you have to be careful with handling them or with any fish and other corals which may come into contact with it.

For now, he seems quite happy and has settled onto his own piece of liverock and hasn't moved from there. If he stays put, he might graduate into my my smaller display tank which only has a single large watchman Goby. I'll have to see if I can position him in such a way that the Goby has minimal chances of running into the anemone.

I have seen one of these guys at a pet store in Washington. The guy working there said he was stung once and it hurt like he'll. Crazy looking tho almost looks like a bunch of colt trees or Kenya together.

I've seen the burn left by the sting on a few divers. nasty nasty scars.

You guys gotta live on the edge more!

I'm gonna pick up some fire coral, a few volitans lions, scorpionfish and a blue ring octo next.

FWIW I've been hit and it didn't really phase me as much as some other things, but, that just means I am not sensitive to them :) Ditto with lions, fire coral and scorpions. Never had the urge to handle blue rings though :lol:

The divers with the burns hit them diving, they weren't handling them. I suspect they'll loose some potency in aquaria as well.

Ibn said:
I prefer to put my hands in the tank without gloves. :D

tons of other stuff can happen with out having these animals in your tank. nasty nasty infections, some can kill you, others will just cause lotsa pain and major drugs to get rid of. Out tanks are a cesspool of Vibrios and what nots.

Back