Reef nutrition

New Guy Here

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and to the salt water fish keeping hobby in general. I've had fresh water tanks before but wanted a salt water tank really badly. I finally graduated from college this past June and said what the heck its time. I'm starting off small with a JBJ Nano 24 with a set of 150W metal halides. Right now I only have live rock, live sand, 2 emerald crabs, 1 scarlet hermit, and 1 pair of false perc clowns. I will slowly add coral and one or two more fish in the future. I currently live in south San Jose and hope to meet other reefers in the area.

Welcome!
Do ppl find the JBJ 28 overheats almost constantly? At the last shop I worked at we sold those JBJ's and customers had lots of issues w/ the heat. And on the 24, is that the 28g 150w mh hood on the 24 body? I know that hybrid really cuts down on the evap cooling from the filter (which is exposed when that hood is on the 28g). Sorry for all the questions.-Jim

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! Jim, to answer your question about the JBJ heating issue. It is a problem if you have your lights on and keep your hood closed. My temperature would rise from 79 to 82 through the day if I kept the hood closed. I have since opted to remove the hood and replace it with a set of metal halides and a fan. No more heating issues. I don't know about your question regarding the 28g 150w mh hood on the 24 body. My tank did not come with metal halides. I bought them after market.

Back