Reef nutrition

New rules for DBTC-X - The Next Generation

cwolfus

Past President
In recent BOD meetings we have grappled with a question that is asked over and over again: "What is the standard for declaring a coral is a DBTC-X?"

We think we finally have an answer that will work... You decide!

From now on, please post all DBTC threads in DBTC (even ones you think are DBTC-X). When you post your DBTC, list it as a poll (unless you don't want your entry to be considered for DBTC-X status). BAR members who visit the page can then vote:

Yes - this should be DBTC-X
No - this should not be DBTC-X

Get 10 yes votes and you can flag a mod to move your post to DBTC-X and bask in the glory of your reefiness.

By way of example, here is my first entry under the new rules: Cespitularia - http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=5178.0

This program only works if people participate. We have had a bunch of recent coral which only have 5-6 votes TOTAL. This concept of putting DBTC-X in the hand of the people only works if we let it work. Right now apathy is winning. Go kick apathy's ass and vote!

I thought the idea is it became extreme if people jumped all over it.

That being said I dig the voting too,but on the first page I only saw 4 corals that had the option to vote and two of those were from the same person (all but 1 are BOD members too), so really its failing before people get the option to vote.

Just make things more difficult for yourself, assign a subcommittee or have the bod take a vote on each one and be done with it:D

The idea was 10 votes. People jumping all over corals is an indication too, but there are several votable threads with lots of people jumping all over it, with little vote #'s. We wanted less ambiguity. A vote is a vote :)

If you noticed (nearly) only BOD threads offering polls, then that is an indication of BOD stepping up with the new idea and setting the example for others to (hopefully) follow ;) You only noticed 4 threads, but since the idea, the following threads have been up:

Tyree LE Favia Matthai
Acan't Believe its not butter ACAN
Acan
Cespitularia
Acropora Insignis?
MicroA
MicroB
MicroC
MicroD

(btw, I linked those for people for those who need/want to vote on)

We actually talked about a subcommittee to decide, but went with the idea of giving the membership some say since it is their coral :)

Back