got ethical husbandry?

New tank came, with cracks in overflow glass...

kinetic

Supporting Member
Pretty excited with the new tank, though after I setup the stand (took forever) and destroyed the boxes the tank came in, I noticed two cracks in the overflow.

The tank is a Red Sea Reefer 170. I already removed the black background before I noticed the crack.

Think they'll replace the tank for free? Or will they blame me for it all?

Let's say they don't replace it. Is this fixable? Super ugly though... kind of sucks if I will have to eat the cost.

36761122821_691385c69c_c.jpg

36730093982_cfb1fb75d9_c.jpg

From what I heard Red Sea is generally pretty good with support and would ship you a new glass tank. But with the current flooding situation... not sure when that will happen.

I was looking around, and saw someone in SF Bay Area get a Reefer 250 with a very similar crack pattern as me.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25196960

Same spot on the overflow, though his is way worse. Apparently Red Sea didn't want the cracked tank back. Maybe I'll just silicon the cracks and use it as a QT tank. Going to wait for official word first.

My problem is way less severe than the hurricane. I feel stupid asking them to fix my issue right now haha.

I was looking around, and saw someone in SF Bay Area get a Reefer 250 with a very similar crack pattern as me.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25196960

Same spot on the overflow, though his is way worse. Apparently Red Sea didn't want the cracked tank back. Maybe I'll just silicon the cracks and use it as a QT tank. Going to wait for official word first.

My problem is way less severe than the hurricane. I feel stupid asking them to fix my issue right now haha.

Welcome back Art! They probably replace it and ask you to destroy the tank ;)

Well the black silicone should hold since the water level in there will be fairly high so low pressure against it. If that top part with all the cut outs is simply resting on top you could just replace the piece of glass too, smoked glass is not that rare of something, or you could use a multitude of acrylic products too.

They will tell you to file a claim with the carrier. You have a limited window to do this!! Did you make a note of the damaged box when you received it?

Well the black silicone should hold since the water level in there will be fairly high so low pressure against it. If that top part with all the cut outs is simply resting on top you could just replace the piece of glass too, smoked glass is not that rare of something, or you could use a multitude of acrylic products too.

The overflow plastic bits are siliconed onto the glass. Though if you removed all the silicone and glass, I guess it could always be reapplied.

They will tell you to file a claim with the carrier. You have a limited window to do this!! Did you make a note of the damaged box when you received it?

There wasn't any damage with the box. And I inspected the tank but didn't see the crack. The overflow is black and it was dark. There was saran wrap all over, so it was impossible to see until I took it all out. I guess it was my fault for not taking it completely out of the box. But that would've taken a long time, not sure if the delivery guy would be that happy. I also think it's unreasonable for the customer to find EVERY single piece of damage. Like what if there's some leak that was caused by mishandling, and it wasn't cracked? Impossible to know.

They'll send you a new one and won't require you to ship the old one back. There were several guys on the forum that ended up selling the cracked ones. This has happened several times in the past.

Welcome back Art! They probably replace it and ask you to destroy the tank ;)

I'll destroy it, have a hammer will travel.

I think you should wait for the company to respond.

You could also have a piece of acrylic cut to fit and use either silicone or E6000

Update: Yesterday I emailed tech support directly rather than their info email address. The confirmation page said they were out of the office because of Harvey and operations were paused until further notice. Yikes.

Today: Got a call back today from Red Sea this morning. They were sweet and apologetic about not working the last couple of days. To me, I'm just like: What, you guys are in a natural disaster, no need to apologize. They said they put in the invoice in to have the replacement tank sent out to me and did tell me once I got the new tank to dispose of the old one.

Of course, the freight company is probably going to be delayed like crazy and won't be able to ship it as fast as before (which was around 10 days). All good. I'm just glad they are all OK and that the replacement will come eventually. GO RED SEA!

Back