Cali Kid Corals

New Tank Progress!

under_water_ninja

High Tide Aquatics
LFS Owner
Alright! Here are some pics of my new tank. remember this is not my dream tank, it is a budget tank, lol!

Had to cover some holes from the previous owner. Used some acrylic pieces and some weld-on #16.
Thanks for the Advice Jeremy!

DSC02090.jpg

And here it is Full of water!!!! Yay!

DSC02103.jpg

With the actinics on

DSC02111.jpg

And there is Curt Warner giving it one last shot!!!!!

DSC02112.jpg

Watching the Super Bowl, Filling the tank and oh yeah!!!! BBQ
not much leftovers though!

DSC02109.jpg

Did babybacks in a crockpot for 7 hours on low!!!!!! Then finshed them on grill/smoker with some apple and hickory chips!!!!!
Some of em didnt make it out of the crockpot!!!!! Now thats tender!!!!!

DSC02110.jpg

Will finish mounting the ballast and wiring today! Also need to get a couple of fans for under the stand and a couple for the canopy and a bulb for the light fixture in the stand. Will hopefully pick up the live rock this weekend from Beaupierce! I get some pics of the sump up soon.

Man I wish I came to your party! Don't get me wrong the party I went to had really tasty snack type food, but ribs are a whole other level! :D

Oh yah the tank looks good too :D

Any idea how you're going to get flow in that sucker? Long thin tanks that are "room dividers" can be problematic because you usually don't want to put a pump on a side that's viewable.

Ya I know. I am probably gonna spring for a wireless vortech and slap it on the oppiste side of the overflow. Any other options? I was also thinking of a closed loop spraybar type of thing that wen around the top inside of the tank? What do you think. I really dont want to spring for the vortech right now, lol.

I'm not really a big fan of the closed loops myself. I mean I'm sure they could work, but drilling holes in a perfectly good tank... things leak... I mean yeah.. ..

As to the flow, a vortech on the other side would be nice... could also stick with a couple powerful tunze pumps on the other side, and simply leave near the other wall a little more barren as far as rock/corals. How long is the tank? 6 feet? Don't think I'd use that Rio Hyperflow(??) as a circulation pump in the tank though.

Ken-Good stuff. I have your old eheim you can use once i switch tanks over. I say two vortechs or tunze on opposite corners and sides. Seemed to work for my tank. Maxijet mods would work if your trying to save some dinero.

No, No, I was just using that to mix the salt! AFA the closed loop system, I was just thinking of using semi flex tube(the braided one) and have it run along the underside of the lip around the tank and having maybe 5 or 6 spouts coming out. the canopy pretty much covers about the top inch of the tank, I think I could do this without visual notice.
??

Drill the top on the opposite end of the tank from your overflow and push the surface water towards to overflow. IME it's the only way to properly skim the surface of a peninsula tank, otherwise you wind up with a slick on the overflowless side of the tank. You can then use a few MJ mods and push the water that is well under the surface to get adequate flow.

I hope that makes sense, peninsulas can be tricky to get good flow in.

lol! Next time I frag some ribs, you guys are invited!!! That would be pretty cool! Do a frag/bbq party!!!!!

Anyways! Jeremy, I am not to sure what you mean about drilling a hole on the opposite end? Do you mean, I should put a strong powerhead at the open end and push the water towards the overflow?

AFA flow is concerned, I was thinking about Mikes Idea! I can get the maxi-jet 1200 mods that pump out 1600gph for $35! Cant beat that! I have a wave timer that handles 3 pumps! Do you think 3 of these around the tank plus the powerhead pushing water towards the overflow should be enough???

What I mean is to drill out the top and add a bulkhead on the opposite side of the tank from your overflow for your return, that way it is minimally invasive yet still pushes the surface water into the overflow, then you can get by with putting powerheads on the overflow side, otherwise you have a waxy film build up on the surface of your tank.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6160.msg78198#msg78198 date=1233685217]
Or you can put one modded Tunze 6025 at the opposite side of the OF. Point it up and that should be good enough.
[/quote]

But then you have a powerhead on the open end of a peninsula which aesthetically doesn't work. It's much more simple and streamlined to have a small return.

Alright, so here we are with the tank set up and ready for corals!

DSC02207.jpg

But, now I came across a dilemma, or should I saw the luck O' the Irish! Just found out my friend set up a 340gl reef and has his old system collecting dust! 150gl oceanic w/ overflow. Custom stand and canopy with 2 400wt halides and 4 t5's, equipped with fans and thin plexi water shield. 42gl sump with euroreef skimmer, refugium, return pump, and a few other various pumps, throwing in some live rock and however much cycled water I need.
All this for the whopping price of $400!

Back