Kessil

New to the club!

brleong

Supporting Member
Hello all!

I just wanted to say hi to you all. I just found out about this club last week and hopped on as soon as I could. I've had my 55g tank up for about 1 year now. I've had freshwater tanks my whole life, but this is my first salt tank and I'm still learning a bunch! A little about myself: I'm an engineer. I love to build things! and this is clearly shown when seeing my tank. I've built my own LED system, biopellet and GFO reactors so far. I hope to build a full aquarium controller and sump in the near future!

I've attached a picture of my tank. It's changed some since this picture. This was right after i installed my LED system and I've added more corals since.

I look forward to meeting you all soon and learning from you experienced reefers!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 271
Thanks everyone!

Yep that's an AC above the tank but it is never used. At one point last summer I used the fan function on it to cool the tank by ducting air across the top of it to get evaporative cooling.

I think it's just wood painted black?

Those are multi-chip's right? Which ones / how many watts? How's the growth with them ?

The black thing is a wooden black shelf from OSH. Fit perfectly for what I needed and was cheap and easy to work with.

Yep they are multichip LED's. Both are 100 watt lEDs off eBay. 40 10k/60 royal blue ~445nm. I'm getting excellent growth with them. Had them about 1 month so far. Had three new zoa polyps the first week and it's grown exponentially since. Each of those new polyps have a few new ones sprouting up each week. My torch coral is starting to branch a second head. Really pissed off my toadstool leather though and got some bleaching since the lights are so strong. I had to move that to the bottom in a shady spot.

Very cool, I just built the same LED's I think. I posted it in the DIY section, although from the picture your's appear much more "violet". Do you feel it's rather "white"? Mine haven't gone up yet, probably in the next week or two.

The picture is much more violet than in real life. That's usually the problem with pictures. Mine is slightly bluish, but pretty much on the white side. Not very many warm colors. I would say that it matches very closely with a kessil a360.

New to BAR and the saltwater hobby/passion...just signed up as a member...have had freshwater fish all my life and now taking a stab at saltwater. Any advice or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back