Our mission

Nori recommendation for tang

newfly

Supporting Member
Just got a juvenile purple tang in QT. I went to the local Asian store ( Ranch99) to get some nori and overwhelmed by the selection.

what should I look for? Any brand , type etc ?
I was thinking of just get the most expensive organic nori on the shelf but decided to hold off any ask the forum for advise

I get mine from Ranch 99 and just look for what is economical, in bulk, and doesn't have anything added to it. I've been feeding my Tangs this for almost 15 years.

The most important thing to get your tangs to eat the nori is to either get garlic flavored one or soak it yourself in garlic extract. For some reason picky eater fish are attracted to garlic.

the second thing is location. Either get a clip and suction cup it to the side of the tank or you can just let it float on the surface. My yellow tang , sail fin tang and hippo tang literally make chomping sounds when I drop it in.

On a separate topic, the purple is eating PE pellets and selcon soaked mysis today. I'm happy with that. I'll get some nori later today. Also ordered the Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets.

There is some early sign on HLLE, or maybe not. It could be stressed from shipping . Overnight shipping ended up being 2 days. Hard to get picture as he is still super shy and hide when i walk up to the tank.

Just get the cheapest dried nori with no flavoring and no salt. If in doubt, just eat a piece. They're good snacks for humans too.:p

Bought this and the tang is loving it.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    391.4 KB · Views: 196
I use the Two Little Fishies brand bulk (300g) packs in multiple flavors. They last a long time. The price isn’t too bad in bulk and it’s made specifically for fish tanks so no worries.

not
Do you find that your anthias eat these too? Trying to find the best all around pellet food more my tank and always felt like the anthias are the least enthusiastic, especially the male
not to jump off topic from the OP, i only feed my fish pe mysis pellets and pe mysis frozen shrimps. i dont feed my tangs any nori for over a year already.

Back