Kessil

Ogo cultivating tank

newfly

Supporting Member
For the fun of it, i ordered a small amount red ogo from algaebarn. Its in a 5G tank, with heater, pump and 15W led. Plan to dump (some) skimate as fertilizer every once a while. I don;t have any biological filter (no rock, no sponge).

Goal is to grow ogo to feed the tang in the DT. I don't have space for a fuge in the main DT. The Ogo arrived very healthy. Gently tumbling in the tank. I supposed i can let them tumble and not have to anchor them to a rock or something.

If this work out, i'll have Ogo to offer to the forum.

Will this work? Or waste of time and money.

I suspect you’ll need at least a little surface area for beneficial bacteria like some rock, matrix, or sponge

In all seriousness you'll probably have to supplement it since skimmate will just provide nitrate and phosphate. It's a plant so it needs other micro nutrients too. If you change water I would take out the water from the ogo tank, throw the water from the reef tank into the ogo tank, and then throw in the skimmate into the ogo tank. That way it gets some of the micro nutrients replenished from the main tank.

For the fun of it, i ordered a small amount red ogo from algaebarn. Its in a 5G tank, with heater, pump and 15W led. Plan to dump (some) skimate as fertilizer every once a while. I don;t have any biological filter (no rock, no sponge).

Goal is to grow ogo to feed the tang in the DT. I don't have space for a fuge in the main DT. The Ogo arrived very healthy. Gently tumbling in the tank. I supposed i can let them tumble and not have to anchor them to a rock or something.

If this work out, i'll have Ogo to offer to the forum.

Will this work? Or waste of time and money.
Sweet! I used to grow it in my sump till I changed lights and it almost all died. I picked up some strands from FV, but would love to trade some ogo for some coral!

In all seriousness you'll probably have to supplement it since skimmate will just provide nitrate and phosphate. It's a plant so it needs other micro nutrients too. If you change water I would take out the water from the ogo tank, throw the water from the reef tank into the ogo tank, and then throw in the skimmate into the ogo tank. That way it gets some of the micro nutrients replenished from the main tank.

Good call. Simply enough to do water change with the DT water.

Back