Jestersix

Okay -- pick apart my plan....

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
I'm a convert. A two time convert. First, I'm a convert to the Triton method which I currently use on my SPS tank. I've never had a tank more stable with this much growth and very little maintenance. I'm also a convert to UV sterilizers after installing one on that same tank.

So -- I want to do a similar thing on my Innovative Marine 120 AOI. Obviously, running the Triton method, which requires a good size refugium, isn't as easy on an AIO. So here's the plan:

Plumb an Algae Scrubber and a UV sterilizer in a closed loop with a canister filter. The canister filter will hold chemipure and carbon, but not filter material that can build up nitrates, etc. It also acts as a closed pump to rerun the water into the rear of the AIO.

Will this work?

Yes I think so...is the back glass or acrylic? If acrylic is consoder drilling it and doing more normal sump. That being said I've got a canister for you, and I assume you will want me to help you put it together, so just lemme know when.

Have you seen anyone replace the fuge with an algae scrubber before while doing triton? Seems like they’d do the same thing.

Do you have a scrubber and uv already picked out? I’m assuming you’re matching up the flow rates for all of them right?

It’s kind of funny; before triton was the in thing. I was thinking of running a pax bellum on my system with out a sump. Pretty much like what you’re talking about. I was told not to do it but I’m going to tell you the opposite. Just do it.

From everything I've researched an algae scrubber seems to grow algae faster than in a fuge and probably exposes the algae to a better opportunity to absorb nutriets. Since the purpose of the large fuge that is recommended for use with the Triton method is to naturally absorb nutrients the two methods should work the same.

Last edited:
From everything I've researched an algae scrubber seems to grow Chaeto faster than in a fuge and probably exposes the Chaeto to a better opportunity to absorb nutriets. Since the purpose of the large fuge that is recommended for use with the Triton method is to naturally absorb nutrients the two methods should work the same.

From personal experience, reactors are more a pain in the arse than a fuge. I think a 50W of light in a fuge grows cheato just as well as 25W in an algae reactor. When I had a light from the top and the side in a fuge, I could double my cheato size in 4-5 days. The big difference? Keeping that reactor clean is a pain. All the coralline and algae that grows on the side of a curved surface is painfully hard to clean. And if you're not diligent about it, it will block your light eventually. Granted all my experience is from DIY reactors with the light coming from the outside part of the reactor, but I can imagine the ones with light coming from the center encounter the same issue.

From personal experience, reactors are more a pain in the arse than a fuge. I think a 50W of light in a fuge grows cheato just as well as 25W in an algae reactor. When I had a light from the top and the side in a fuge, I could double my cheato size in 4-5 days. The big difference? Keeping that reactor clean is a pain. All the coralline and algae that grows on the side of a curved surface is painfully hard to clean. And if you're not diligent about it, it will block your light eventually. Granted all my experience is from DIY reactors with the light coming from the outside part of the reactor, but I can imagine the ones with light coming from the center encounter the same issue.

Oops...just realized you said scrubber not reactor. Hehe

You asked for picking......
Why UV?

After a few years of running tanks without one I decided to give it a try and I am now a complete convert. The change in he tank that's running one has been marked and very beneficial. First, as a clarifier the damn things are awesome. The water is crystal clear. More importantly though algae growth has been nearly stopped in it's tracks. I was having a big problem with hair algae and while I don't credit the UV for getting rid of it (I did that with good husbandry) there has been no sign of a comeback to speak of. Regular cleaning for algae and bacteria's have been cut by at least three fourths.

UV in closed loop or return is certainly no problem.
And I am a UV convert also now.

But the algae scrubber...
The thing is, you really need to clean them weekly.
If not, the light starts getting blocked, plus the older algae starts to slough off, and pollute your tank.
That means it needs to be EASY to clean.
A closed loop system makes that seem really painful.

A tiny waterfall scrubber in the sump would work. They are extremely efficient, so can be really small.
And there are some new hang-on-glass bubble-upflow scrubbers. Look up "HOG UAS"
Although the jury is still out on those.

Back