got ethical husbandry?

pinners tanks (Virtual Tour March 2nd 2014 pm for login info )

This is just a rough start since I was razed by icon of not having thread started. :p .
Trying to do this on a cell phone so sry for the poor format / spelling lol. Ill fix it asap.

I use ESV Salt mix and change 10-15% of water ever 10 days.
The way i remember to do water changes is, If the water was changed on a Friday the following Friday is the day
i start my ro filter. It takes a day to fill up so then next day ill add my salt and let it sit for another day.
After all that it has been 10 days and time for water changes.

I buy a big bucket of salt and mix it up inside a 18gal storage container and then breakdown into 4 smaller buckets so
the salt can be kept in a airtight containers ready to use. This makes it quick to get ready for water changes.

My fish get fed usually every day or every other day with a combination of foods PE Mysis Shrimp, Marine Cuisine,
Spirulina Brime Shrimp, TDO, Ocean Nutrition Seaweed (brown, red,green). Food gets defrosted in tank water
and then strained out in a brime shrimp net. Corals get fed every other day to every 4 days a combination of
Cyclop-eeze, MarineSnow, PE Mysis Shrimp, Spirulina Brime Shrimp, Fauna Marin medium lps pellets.

B-Ionic, Kent Marine Essential Elements, Kent Marine Strontium & Molybdenum are the liquid additives i use as directed.

All tanks are kept at the following ranges.

dkh 9.3-9.6
cal 420-450
mag 1300-1380
ph 8.0-8.3
temp 76-78
salinity 1.023-1.025

I have invested in the following equipment to make my reef keeping easier:

Hanna Instruments Digital Seawater Refractometer
Majano Wand Aiptasia & Majano Eliminator
45 gal Brute Trash Can on rollers (used to mix up saltwater)
33 gal Brute Trash Can on rollers (used for waste water ONLY)
18 gal Storage container (used to mix new bucket of salt up)
300w Eheim Jager Heater ( heat up fresh mixed saltwater)
Pump ( mix up Saltwater & pump new water back into tanks)

I use the follow testing equipment:

Salifert Calcium Test Kit
Salifert KH/Alkalinity Test Kit
Salifert Magnesium Test Kit
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Test Kit
Hanna Instruments Digital Seawater Refractometer

Frag tank:
Video Tour
Apex controler with temp and two lab grade ph probe
Apex Wireless Expansion Module (WXM)
Apex I/O Break Out Box (easy float switch conection )
120 gal ( two 50gal hydroplontic containers ) 20 gal side tank
Bubble-Magus curve 7 skimmer
Korallin Calcium Reactor 1502 Calcium Reactor
5 lbs CO2 tank
CaribSea Reactor Media
3 EcoTech Marine MP10 Vortech Propeller Pump w/ Wireless EcoSMART Driver
(one thx to bar won my very first meet :) )
2 EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w (Gen 1) LED Light Fixture with TIR lens
150 mh 14k on 20 gal side tank
Two Little Fishies GFO Phosban Reactor
300w Eheim Jager Heater
EcoTech Marine Vortech Battery Backup

My lights hang 21 in away from top of water and are run at 20% and ramp up to 30% at peak of day and then ramp back down to 20% at end of day. The tank has a depth of 11 in to it. There are two 1 in pvc pipe overflows with two 1/2 returns. Sump has a depth of 10.5 in. It's nice that the Bubble-Magus curve 7 skimmer has a operating depth of 9-11 in. The ph of effluent drip in calcium reactor is set at 6.5. Co2 outlet on apex controller is set to come on if ph2 is higher that 6.6 and shuts off at 6.5. Co2 bubble rate at 1 bubble / 4 sec and effluent drip rate at 1 drop per 1-1.5 sec.

Apex is set up to send me a email and also a Txt message to my cell phone if a alarm state happens. Neptune has recently released
a new and improved manual for the apex. They have improved the advanced programming support. I learned quite a few new things i could do.
Here is a example of my programming of my mp10 pumps. Depending on time it pulls the settings for the pump from
my profiles.( Night, Swell,etc.). Any question on my programming please ask.
Vortech_4_1 outlet :

Fallback Lagoon
If Time 19:01 to 06:00 Then Night
If Time 06:01 to 07:00 Then Swell
If Time 07:01 to 08:00 Then Pulse
If Time 08:01 to 12:30 Then Lagoon
If Time 12:31 to 13:30 Then Swell
If Time 13:31 to 14:30 Then Pulse
If Time 14:31 to 19:00 Then Lagoon
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then Food
If FeedD 000 Then Pulse
If FeedC 000 Then Nutrient

New info below.
Frag tank expansion 6/21/13

9102158799_e970ea2879_k.jpg

100 gal reservoir 80x29x13
Time to build stand for it.

Fish only:
Video Tour
Apex controler
Hydor Koralia Wavemaker Controller 4-Way Deluxe (for Controllable Koralia Pumps)
Kessil 350w
100 Custom tru-vu 35x24x24
tru-vu sump
Coralife skimmer
300w Eheim Jager Heater

Live Stock:
Purple tang
Coral Beauty
Pair black saddle back clown fish

Mixed Reef tank:
50 gal long
2 kessil a150
Hob filter
AquaC Remora-S Hang-On Protein Skimmer
Tunze auto top off

Live Stock:
Yellow Tang
2cardinalfish
Purple filefish
Pair false perc clownfish

Rose Anomone tank:
20gal long
Kessil 350w
Hob filter

Live Stock:
6 rose Anomone
Pair clarkie clownfish
Bonded pair cardinalfish

more to come soon as I can get computer and resize images. For now ill put video up of tanks ( link to video coming soon)

Last edited:
That is a lot of tanks to care for - color me impressed! :D What is your water change routine like?

Am I reading correctly that you have a Kessil A350w mounted on the fish-only tank?

lattehiatus said:
That is a lot of tanks to care for - color me impressed! :D What is your water change routine like?

Am I reading correctly that you have a Kessil A350w mounted on the fish-only tank?

I change water ever 10 days about 10%. Yes u read that correct I do have a 350w on fish only, used to be my reef tank with a 250 mh with a chiller. Lite heated tank up so thought just get led and get rid of chiller. Mayve a bit overkill but I do have few leftover mushrooms in there.

thank you all for the wonderful comments. Im hard at work trying to think of every detail i can add so keep checking back because i still have lots more to add

Nice set up!!

How do you like the curve skimmer?? I have my heart set on an RLSS, but Matt at AE is trying to sell me on a Curve. I plan on having a decent bioload so I am going to have to grab one rated for around 400-500 gallons. If you don't mind giving some insight on what you think, it would be much appreciated. :D

Back