Our mission

Polyp Poisoning.... Stupidest thing I think I've ever done.

So you can't just post your successes here on these forums... We certainly have mistakes and failures along the way. "real boats rock". So I am writing this after the most miserable violently sick night of my life. I have only put two and two together in the last hour or so but I believe it makes since and is the cause of this.

Last night around 8pm I had about half a dozen medium/small pieces of LR that were covered in about 200+ heads of a brown nuisance polyps. I decided to go ahead and kill them off with boiling water before letting the rocks completely die off and reintroduce a few weeks down the road as dead base rock.

Upon doing this it took only a few minutes before my house was filled with the most awful smell from these polyps being killed. I then took them outside which is what I should of done in the first place. The house was still pretty bad so we aired the house out and sprayed some airfreshner to handle the smell.

9:30 - My 3 year old son Reese wakes up coughing his head off and throwing up.... extreme shakes and high fever
10:30 - My 7 year old son Cameron wakes up coughing his head off and throwing up.... extreme shakes and high fever

at this point I'm wondering what is going on...

11:00 - I start coughing my head off.... extreme headache... Extreme chills, shivers, just a violently sick experience.
11:30 - My wife Cindy joins us with an extreme cough, headache, chills, etc, etc.

This continued non stop last night until about 6-7am for each of us. It was a miserable and terrible experience... I've never been so sick before and neither has Cindy or my boys.... The fact that it hit us all at the same time in the same way was super bazaar. We spent some time this morning trying to figure out what could of happened, food poison, bad water, anything.... but we could not come up with a single thing yesterday that we all ate or drank the same thing of.

Then the memory of the smell of the dying nuisance polyps hit me over the head like a freight train this morning and I realized just how stupid of a thing I did. Cindy, Cameron and I are feeling much better this morning with the exception that we are all very sore and tired from last nights extreme sickness. Reese my youngest son is still coughing some this morning and has a slight fevor. Cindy is calling Poison Control to get their take on it now.

Any thoughts from you guys? I feel terrible that I made such a stupid mistake here. I've never wanted to kick my own ass more than I do right now.

dayumm. Glad that you guys are recovering though and I hope many people read this post so that they don't go through this potentially hazardous situation. Ive heard about "quirting" from polyps but the "fog" is a new one for me.

Well I've never heard of that, however the fact that you could smell it, means molecules from those polyps were airborne, so wouldn't surprise me one bit.

So in the future how are you NOT going to rid yourself of brown polyps? :)

Seriously, I have a similar rock, that one day I think I'll just either leave in the sun to dry up, then dip it in a acid solution to remove the residue or something (and I bet those sommabitches will still come back!)

knowing what I do about zoas and polyps it should of registered immediately for me. The smell was so strong I should of known there was a problem immediately. I am dumbfounded at my stupidity right now.

I hope EVERYONE reads this and knows going forward to not do such a thing. This was extremly dangerous.

[quote author=Zepplock link=topic=6287.msg79940#msg79940 date=1234285296]
Pretty sad.
Even more sad that it happens every 1/2 year.
[/quote]

??

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6287.msg79942#msg79942 date=1234285347]
Well I've never heard of that, however the fact that you could smell it, means molecules from those polyps were airborne, so wouldn't surprise me one bit.

So in the future how are you NOT going to rid yourself of brown polyps? :)

Seriously, I have a similar rock, that one day I think I'll just either leave in the sun to dry up, then dip it in a acid solution to remove the residue or something (and I bet those sommabitches will still come back!)

[/quote]

Ya the smell was strong enough that I should of known immediately. However I rid myself of nuisance polyps going forward I will certainly not do it IN the house. This is an outside, where a face mask don't touch with your bare hands sort of task.

Ya... my wife is none too pleased with me right now. AND... I'm about to get on a plane for NY for business so she's not real excited with the fact that I poisoned them all and am now leaving town. :-

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=6287.msg79950#msg79950 date=1234285747]
Ya... my wife is none too pleased with me right now. AND... I'm about to get on a plane for NY for business so she's not real excited with the fact that I poisoned them all and am now leaving town. :-
[/quote]

Leave town before she kills you!!!

Oh, man! Glad everyone's okay. This is the primary reason why I've never gotten into palys (I have two boys, too).

Bao (Aquatic Gallery) had a similar experience when a heater got stuck and overheated the tank. Everyone in the house went to the hospital for precautionary measures. The dog didn't make it :(

And its not even the cool looking ones that always make you sick either :D

(ok that's not true ... you just hear about the ugly ones people try to remove as getting you sick)

Back