Cali Kid Corals

powder blue and red Favia

I have three frags, the piece is powder blue with dark red streaks/spots, quite a nice piece IMO, however it has seen better days as it is a rescue piece from a customers tank. Long story short it was not meant for the tank, when the customer purchased it the coral was already in bad shape. I did what I could to thrive, but eventually it was a replaced with something that would actually live (bright green Rhodactis).

Frags are ~2"X2" have and many mouths, the issue is that there is quite a bit exposed skeleton, not fresh mind you, but the pieces are not what they once were, so I though I'd cut it up on hooked's (Mikey) most amazing tile saw (like butter).

If you'd like to give it a try you must:

Have success with LPS
Must be willing to give a little TLC to a piece with a lot of promise
Add two fags back before selling/trading, and add an additional Favia/Acan type LPS as the third DBTC contribution
Be ready to feed he little guy to "pump it up"

Pickup at the April meeting

Well I don't have any favia yet but I'm having good luck with my other LPS's so far. Let me know what type of lighting and flow to keep it in and I'm sure I can fatten it up in no time.

Flow: I have a 1000g surge along with a 2hp return pump on a wavemaker
Lighting: 1000w 4500k halide
Food: Live cuttlefish

;D

No seriously, it needs Med light Med flow and food, real easy, just don't put it in a big tank with crappy lighting and WAY too many fish.

Sounds like a beautiful piece that I'd love to have, but I'm not sure if I'm up for a rescue mission. Put in me line for 2nd gen frag.

You rock Jeremy! Is this a close pick to what it should look like

218large%20blue%20and%20red%20favia%20colony.JPG

Nope, the more I look the more it looks like a Micro, I need to do a little research before I post huh?

When I got it the polyps had receded into the skeleton so far I just saw little blue dots. The frag I'm keeping has a section that has filled in, the over all color is a light metallic powder blue with red freckles, no distinct pattern such as shown in the picture.

I really do need to get a camera after I graduate from eating cat food to people food, being broke sucks!

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3328.msg37628#msg37628 date=1205475323]
No Mike. We sold those for pizza money after the meeting :D
[/quote]I just noticed Norman, two pizza quotes in one night, thirsty Thursday pizza night here, it was soooo good, I'm up to 64% H2O FYI.

Changed my mind, I'll go for the 3rd frag if it's not taken. If TLC entails keeping up water quality and spot feeding like I already enjoy doing with my candycanes, then I'm up for it.

You got it Rekonn, same basic procedure, if you can nurse an ailing candycane, this should be a cakewalk.

OK so it's

1. Hooked (sorry forgot I already gave Mikey a piece)
2. Levi
3. Tony
4. Rekonn

Figured I'd throw up a pick or two.

As you can see there are several polyps that are eating well.
blueandredfavia1.jpg

Skinking cleaner shrimp trying to rob it
blueandredfavia2.jpg

I'll try and do the same with a photo tonight. Since these are sorta "recovery" corals, we can really track their progress. Mine has been seemingly happy and also ate a bit of mysis 2 days ago.

Back