Jestersix

Protein Skimmer?-20 gallons

I have a 20gal. tank w/a powerhead, 30 lbs live rock, 20lbs live sand, a refugium, a biological filter, and i was wondering wat would be a good protein skimmer to add to my system? something that works fairly good, is somewat quiet (i already hav 3 air pumps running and three or four filters anyways), and cheapish... or do i hav a enough filteration? i do water changes once a week (btw im starting the tank this week, but i hav a schedual already made! so is it needed, i mite do smaller more frequent water changes also since i cant seem to keep my hands out of the tanks!
thanks guys!!

haha... i have no job and fishkeeping has ran me poor... oh well its a good sacrafice!!! i was thinking about a remora... which one is cheaper and which one is quieter

do i need it tho? i already hav a filter, lots of live rock and sand, and a fuge... i also am going to be doing water changes 1-2 times a week
im only housing one 3in fish... i like coral

You don't NEED a lot of stuff, but a good skimmer is a nice thing to have. Look at the CPR ones. You can get a cheap used backpak somewhere, the newer ones are better. They were at Baymac last year

For what its worth, I ran my 28g NanoCube without a skimmer for about 6 months. Some corals did well. Others were just sort of static. Growth rates and polyp extension are much better since I added a skimmer. Some also have better coloration. Perhaps I could have achieved the same results with more aggressive water changes but I'm very glad I added the skimmer. Your mileage may vary.

It was tricky finding a skimmer to fit my tank and I finally ended up with the Remora using a Rio (900 maybe?) pump. It doesn't produce as many bubbles in the chamber as I expect a skimmer should but I do get skimmate and the tank is showing improvement so...

ya.. i dont think im going to run the skimmer, im just going to do water changes every three days and use dye/chemical free paper towels to absorb the protein on the surface... i dont like how skimmers take out trace elements, trust me. i use to be all "I NEED A SKIMMER!"

I have a 28g JBJ, and ran it with the stock skimmer for 4-5 days as a stop gap measure. I was always dead set on getting a Tunze 9002 (which I now have).
However, the stock skimmer worked fine. It would not handle a heavy bio load I feel. I do have it for sale if you're interested. Its an airstone based skimmer. Includes pump as well. Would let it go for about $20 ? Or a few frags!

What are you going to have in the tank.
I ran my BC without skimmer for 2 years without a problem. I think the water change weekly was keeping up. I had a little bit of chaeto in the back too.
I kept it with 3 fishes at the most though.
But I also do like the CPR Aeroforce. Great little skimmer and it's recirculating too.

Back