Jestersix

Protein Skimmers and fractionating pumps

I've gotten myself a used ETSS SumpBuddy40 protein skimmer, which seems to operate by dropping the water from a height and using bioballs to break it up and make the bubbles. It says it will work with any 700-900gph pump, but I'm wondering if a pump with a needle wheel (such as this one) will increase the performance of my skimmer and allow me to remove the bioballs.

There are two sides to the coin, the skimmer is designed to be run as a downdraft and is very effective, not energy efficient, but effective. If you add a needle wheel in it's current configuration it will not be as effective as the downdraft tube and injector would not deliver the bubble laden water to the skimmer body properly. If you add a needle wheel you may need to drill the body and add a uni-seal the attach the NW pump directly to the body.

porksmash said:
I've gotten myself a used ETSS SumpBuddy40 protein skimmer, which seems to operate by dropping the water from a height and using bioballs to break it up and make the bubbles. It says it will work with any 700-900gph pump, but I'm wondering if a pump with a needle wheel (such as this one) will increase the performance of my skimmer and allow me to remove the bioballs.

That's basically how the ETSS works but you missed the venturi at the top which sucks the air in and mixes it with the water. The bio-balls help further mix it and have to be fined tuned to your altitude. Using a needlewheel pump to mod it is very ineffective due to the height of the colletion cup, riser width, etc. I've tried nearly every skimmer pump under the sun to mod them and none really worked.

ETSS's are energy hogs as are downdrafts. I find ETSS skimmers to be very finicky and stopped using them nearly a decade ago due to this reason.

What size tank are you looking to skim? Full blown SPS tank? Mixed reef? Softies? Fish only?

It is a 100 gal tank. This is my very first marine tank, so I want to start with fish only w/ live rock. Once I'm sure I'm not murdering everything I hope to go to a mixed reef. I'm trying to plan my equipment around this. Might be getting a little off the original topic, but I guess here is as good of a place as any to get some opinions:

Tank is 60"x 16"x24". So far, I have:
  • 1500GPH overflow kit from glass-holes.com
  • 2x 3/4" loc-line return nozzles
  • 20L tank for a sump. it is the largest I could fit under the stand and I don't trust myself fabricating a custom acrylic one just yet.
  • Will have a refugium, return, and skimmer section. Fuge and skimmer section are on the outside, return is in the middle. Flow from the overflow will be split into both ends so I can control how fast water goes through the fuge.
    Danner mag-drive 12 return pump for the sump. Should pump out about 1100gph including head loss (marinedepot.com chart). Return flow will be split between two returns (adjusted by ball valves).
    IceCap 60" 3 tube VHO light retrofit kit. I'll be building a top for this. Should give me about 420W down the whole length of the tank.
    2x ViaAqua 300W titanium heaters. They will go into the return section of the fuge, with their temp probes near the returns on either side. I figure that 2 300W heaters should neither be enough to cook the tank if one gets stuck on, or if one fails the other can keep up long enough for me to notice. If both get stuck on... well then I'm screwed. Sounds like I will get a heater controller in the future.
    Hydor Koralia Evolution 1400gph powerhead to make up whatever water flow is lacking from the sump.

Here is the tank so far. I'll be painting the back black. Sump is not ready yet, but I'll have a drawn out design soon.
CycxN.jpg

Can't you convert the skimmer to work more like an AquaC EV series?
I've seen the SB skimmers maybe once or twice but I can't picture the design in my mind right now.
Maybe doing a Beckett injector?
The Mag seems overkill and watts are plenty sucked by them

Looking good !

xcaret said:
I've seen the SB skimmers maybe once or twice but I can't picture the design in my mind right now.

Looking good !

Beckett no longer makes injectors IIRC.

For now I think I will leave it as-is, using a regular pump at the recommended flow rate. I've got enough construction to do otherwise. In the future if it becomes an issue I will probably sell this one and get a different design.

tuberider said:
xcaret said:

Looking good !

Beckett no longer makes injectors IIRC.

Meant a "Beckett like" think My Reef Creations might sell them or similar item.

porksmash: You may get a decent skimmer, Mike has one ASM G2? I got my toys from this bad economy, sadly as I bought two nice little things, then had to pay back so away they went :(

Back