Our mission

Quarantine/Frag Tank

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about this but not sure if it is realistic. I would like to have a 10-15 gallon quarantine tank for fish/corals. This would be the main purpose. I would also like to have it be a future frag tank/quarantine tank. The way it would work is:
  1. When new coral/fish needs to be quarantined, I would move the frags to my main tank.
  2. When the coral/fish has finished quarantine, it will go to main display while the frags go back to the frag tank.
  3. so the frag/quarantine tank would have a multi-purpose.
Will this realistic? I would imagine have two tanks is better but I am short on space. If you have a successful setup similar to what I am thinking please let me know.

thanks!

I would be worried if you wanted to run copper in quarantine about cross contamination. If it is simply a time to watch things before they go into your main tank, then no problem, but it is not a true quarantine. For reference, I have never had a second tank, but I am thinking of one just to make space in my display/declutter.

thanks! I have never quarantine before so not sure of all the issues that can occur during the process. I was trying to kill two birds with one stone, but if it's not ideal I might just stick with a quarantine tank only and put frags in the main display or something.

If you have an hour, this is a good video from BRS on quarantine.

I also like Mark Levenson's take on most things

In short though, if you have never quarantined anything before, then whatever you are trying to kill in quarantine is already is your display (ich, parasites, etc.)

Last edited:
very educational videos, but very complex as i can imagine cross contamination between main display and quarantine tank. Almost better to go with thay “green/blue” medication called safety stop. thanks!

very educational videos, but very complex as i can imagine cross contamination between main display and quarantine tank. Almost better to go with thay “green/blue” medication called safety stop. thanks!
Know anywhere convenient where one can buy this?

I don't know about local, and I have never used this, but it does exist.

Where should I place a frag tank. If it is inside the house I might be able to squeeze in a 10-15 gallon setup. If I pick the garage I might be able to do 20-30+. In the garage I would have yo worry more about heat. being too close to washer and dryer an issue?

7A8BB6C3-74D2-429A-8EE4-F30614AB2956.jpeg

1439F0A4-3942-476A-8326-8AD34D766956.jpeg

i am thinking about coral as well. i purchased the safety stop for the fish, but 2nd time around every coral/chaeto/reef cleaner is going into quarantine. I might consider no clean up crew either depending on how things turn out. this might be a little extreme but curious to see how long the tank can be pest free.

Last edited:
Back