Reef nutrition

Quiet Skimmer?

With my tanks right next to my desk, and about to start up two more skimmers, I'm considering moving to a quieter skimmer.

Any one have experiences between Vertex vs Deltec vs NYOS in terms of noise? Currently running Vertex atm.

Nyos 120 is pretty much dead silent I love it. Overtime I find they get slightly louder so if you NEED silence buy one new

I realize not one of the options you mentioned but I have been very happy with my Reef Octopus Regal 200INT skimmer (Varios DC pump). Very quiet (I’m sensitive to noise). Also great function and reliability.

I am finicky on noise as well.
Royal Exclusive bubble king with red dragon pump.
Super super quiet.
Way better than my old reef octopus, but it had the AC pump, not the new Varios, so is different.

Having an air intake silencer is an absolute must for noise reduction. The RO Regal comes with one built in, other newer models do too. If you want to quiet an older skimmer and it doesn’t have one, that would be the first thing to try. I would not buy any newer skimmer that didn’t already come with one, because that means they were not focused on quiet operation when they designed it.

The Vertex is mostly quiet except for the pump noise... wondering if swapping for a DC pump would be the right move... I am happy with teh skimming, just would like less white noise for my calls

Suggestion:
After emptying skimmer cup (key), put your finger over the air intake line, and see how noise changes.
That should be a hint if it is due to air or due to pump.

What type of Vertex? The Omega line? or the Alpha? I know the Omega ones were designed poorly in that they pull too much air for the size of the skimmer, that alone can be noisy.

What type of Vertex? The Omega line? or the Alpha? I know the Omega ones were designed poorly in that they pull too much air for the size of the skimmer, that alone can be noisy.
It's an omega.

For the most part, it's background/white noise... but the whirling of the pump definitely comes through on calls.

It does have a silencer. So maybe just a matter of swapping out for a dc motor

BRS just put out a “I would never again...” video where Ryan says he’d never buy a Vertex again, because they throw a lot of bubbles but don’t skim effectively.

@Chromis saw that too, and yeah I had similar experiences where it'd be good, them BLAM! barf out a bunch of overflow bubbles effectively wasting all the skimming I did as it overflows (no way I'd trust this hooked up to a skimmer locker). That said, I did get it to work pretty well in a lower level water, the bubbles are quite a bit down in the body but it still works well enough.

@Chromis saw that too, and yeah I had similar experiences where it'd be good, them BLAM! barf out a bunch of overflow bubbles effectively wasting all the skimming I did as it overflows (no way I'd trust this hooked up to a skimmer locker). That said, I did get it to work pretty well in a lower level water, the bubbles are quite a bit down in the body but it still works well enough.

Well I did that all on my own yesterday, accidentally dumped a half full skimmer cup back into my sump. I was horrified to see my acros polyps immediately retract, so I quickly added a bag of carbon and a teaspoon of vinegar but then everything went back to normal after 5 mins... was relieved except then my skimmer went nuts and overflowed, but after emptying it a couple times things seem back to normal.

Well I did that all on my own yesterday, accidentally dumped a half full skimmer cup back into my sump. I was horrified to see my acros polyps immediately retract, so I quickly added a bag of carbon and a teaspoon of vinegar but then everything went back to normal after 5 mins... was relieved except then my skimmer went nuts and overflowed, but after emptying it a couple times things seem back to normal.
Been there. System large enough it seems ok. Definitely skimmer goes nuts for awhile. I usually sit and let it fill then empty it like 3 times and then it goes back to normal.

When either that or a skimmer cup overflow happens to me, and if I’m right there when it happens, I turn off my return immediately so the gunk is mostly still in the skimmer chamber of my sump, and just skim the gunk back out. once the skimmer settles down again, turn the return back on and it skims out the rest that got out.

Usually when that happens to me it's a foam rave party. I catch it the next day after foam has butsed every where.

More like a Ghostbusters slime scene

Back