got ethical husbandry?

Ramen

Since it seems we're going through the whole ramen thing on my tank thread I thought I'd get the discussion going here. :)

As someone who has spent time borderline homeless, and basically has been piss poor my entire life I've had the pleasure of dining on a variety of prepackaged ramen, kicked up with an egg or a small scrap of meat along with a ton of siracha or sambal it can make you feel ok. What is my favorite? MAMA brand Tom Yum with a big blop of siracha and some cilantro. Many others get an honorable mention, those I will discuss later if this thread heads in that direction, at this point though I have a box full of different noodles that get me warmed up to go out into the cold brine and surf (that and coffee :D )

what did you expect?! Ramen is serious business!!!!

I grew up on Nissin Top Ramen. I not sure how it rates compared to others, but I remember loving it. I think I'll have to get some the next time I'm at the market.

I had to google siracha and sambal!

I have MaMa in the cabinet, too but I generally just do Maruchan. No need to add anything, just a bottle of hot sauce. Dang, just ate dinner, and now I just want to put one on the burner. Thx Jeremy.

have you guys ever been to tanpopo in j-town? it was recommended by many of my japanese classmates as the best ramen in town. get the shoyu ramen and a kirin on tap.

OKOOK i may know 0 about sps lightning requirements or water chemistry but ONE thing i do know is ramen. The Santa Ramen in San Mateo is by far the best in the SF area. The drive/wait is worth it. Check it out. You'll thank me later.

The best ramen I have had was this place in the china town district in Philly. Little hole in the wall place with handpulled noodles. Thinking about that place makes me hungry...

i like the san francisco curly pasta noodle soup. the korean supermarket in town only carries it. it is super spicy if you like that. one noodle package does the job.

glee said:
have you guys ever been to tanpopo in j-town? it was recommended by many of my japanese classmates as the best ramen in town. get the shoyu ramen and a kirin on tap.

heck yeah, I love tanpopo! I go there all the time =) hard to get to via public transportation though, had to drive a few times, and cabbed it once.

Santa Ramen is good, but it's also $8+ a bowl it keeps going up the better you make it, the stewed pork is a must add but it adds like another $4 dollars....

Best packet imo is Nongshim no need to add any spices, egg if you're pro. (Caution if you are not into spicy food it may burn you twice)
Shinramyun.jpg

Best .10 cents a ton ramen imo is probably maruchan ramen (beef)
goodygiftbox_1954_16924206

I dunno, Ramen always makes me end up feeling crappy after eating, whether it's the MSG in the flavor packet or just too much salt (and yes I don't put it all in) can't say.

Soup? Did someone say soup?
I like to order Tom Yum with "Moo" (pork in Thai) in the metal pot with the sterno under from Thai Time in San Carlos. Tell Toomi that I said "Sawadikap"

Follow it up with some Pad ke mau (drunken noodles) and some Gang ped yang (curry duck) and your lips will be tingling for hours.........

Dang, for packaged stuff I grew up on Top Ramen like Tony. I remember back when I was a little kid my mom would seriously make 5 or 6 packages in one big pot for the whole family with some eggs and scrap meat tossed in. But since then I like Maruchan, but you gotta make sure you get it on the super big sales some places have.

In terms of places to go, I've never been to Tanpopo before, but I just might check it out this weekend. I've been to Santa in San Mateo, Halu in Santa Clara and Maru Ichi in Milpitas. Hands down Santa has the better stuff, but Halu is worth it if you're in the area. It's a totally different kind of flavor.

Santa Ramen is OK, but I always leave way too thirsty, just too much salt. Ramen Club in Burlingame is good too and so is Himawari.

The g/f loves the Indo Me BBQ Chicken, the noodles are a little slippery for me, I prefer a little more tooth myself.

VietNR1 said:
I'm a pretty big fan of Halu Ramen on Saratoga.....less salt less fat for me though...

I've been there too, but definitely ask for less salt!!! It comes super salty out of the box =(

Tanpopo is a great spot. I like the ankake ramen. My favorite packaged ramen is Myojo Chukazanmai ramen.

518RPGZ448L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Remember I think I am the only one that is actually Japanese in this thread. JK

Back