Kessil

Randy’s venture into salt water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive been into fish tanks since 6 years old when I would help my dad with the 35 gallon octagon. I have 30 years of experience with freshwater and during covid I decided to try my luck with saltwater.

I currently have the following setup (that will soon be upgraded)

55 gallon acrylic tank
Piano wood glossy natural stand (really beautiful)
Kessil AP700
Ecotech mp40
Hydor v3 (cheapie I use to blow directly on sps)
Fluval fx6 pimped out with lots of biological media. ( YouTube has a video about this)
Apex full
Apex auto feeder

fish

Naso tang
Sailfin tang (Red Sea)
Yellow tang (no I don’t want to sell it lol)
Hippo tang
4 clown fish
Halloween hermit crab
Turbo snails
Asteri
Fire red shrimp
Sea apple
Sea urchin

I’m custom building a red oak and birch wood stand presently for the new build. New 130 gallon tank just sitting in living room
Waiting for the stand to get finished.

well there’s lots more to share but this is a good start.

Randy

Last edited:
Shitty day.

A26B003C-048C-496E-9891-1D7F2FDD0CCA.jpeg

I debated posting this because I really don’t want to hear “ I told you so”.

i started feeding 3x a day of reef frenzy and after a few days all my tangs suddenly died between 1am and 730am today. This after a 13 hour day. The cake was the flat tire when going to the fish store.

today was a major water change and back on track.

A1766BCE-7398-4C94-9EBD-CFC13E854027.jpeg

Still have my four clown fish. So I’m going back to once a day feeding of reef frenzy. Three times a day was a death sentence for my tangs.

Umm.. why do you think feeding was the death sentence? Unless you know there was an incredible jump from very low nitrates to a reading of 71 over night I don't think I'd assume the problem was your parameters. While corals are very sensitive to higher nitrates fish are less so especially short term. Many fish only reefers don't even bother to worry about nitrates below 50 and even above. Long term exposure may have adverse effects on fish, but certainly not short term.

Admittedly the nitrate reading could indicate that there may have been an ammonia spike as well, but I wouldn't chalk it up to that for certain either. Do you have any corals in the tank, and how are they looking? Also, what about the invertebrates?

Last edited:
It isn’t just the money. I spent a lot of time on finding and introducing the fish in a augmented way. I had a perfect utopia going.

of all the fish I lost I am the most pissed about the yellow tang. I’ll never find another one now for less than 500 or so.

Umm.. why do you think feeding was the death sentence? Unless you know there was an incredible jump from very low nitrates to a reading of 71 over night I don't think I'd assume the problem was your parameters. While corals are very sensitive to higher nitrates fish are less so especially short term. Many fish only reefers don't even bother to worry about nitrates below 50 and even above. Long term exposure may have adverse effects on fish, but certainly not short term.

Admittedly the nitrate reading could indicate that there may have been an ammonia spike as well, but I wouldn't chalk it up to that for certain either. Do you have any corals in the tank, and how are they looking? Also, what about the invertebrates?
1. One sea star died. One was perfectly fine
2. All tangs died
3. All clowns survived
4. All sps, zoa and Lps were unaffected
5 fiery shrimp was fine
6. Sea urchin fine
7. Sea cucumber fine
8. All hermit crabs fine

1. One sea star died. One was perfectly fine
2. All tangs died
3. All clowns survived
4. All sps, zoa and Lps were unaffected
5 fiery shrimp was fine
6. Sea urchin fine
7. Sea cucumber fine
Which is exactly why I wouldn't jump to the conclusion this was from over -feeding or too many big fish in a small tank -- not when it happens overnight. Normally invertebrates and corals are more sensitive to high nitrates than fish are. Same with a small ammonia spike. The fact that three tangs died, but almost all else survived could indicate another issue. Do you know what your parameters were prior to the AC test?

Which is exactly why I wouldn't jump to the conclusion this was from over -feeding or too many big fish in a small tank -- not when it happens overnight. Normally invertebrates and corals are more sensitive to high nitrates than fish are. Same with a small ammonia spike. The fact that three tangs died, but almost all else survived could indicate another issue. Do you know what your parameters were prior to the AC test?

I do not know the parameters days before. I honestly just fed them and go. Been spending time with a family member who could be dead any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back