Kessil

really need to think generator

So power has been out for 5 hours now, first alert told me 9:45 things should be restored, then 9:45 came and passed and then it was 12:00. Well herr it is after noon and still no power. Pg&e is saying they are still investigating the problem and every now and them a.pg&e truck drives by, translation they still have no idea then about 12:30... power back.

Now tanks are fine, nothing bad happened, over reaction? Well unfortunate my Ecotech battery backup was dead, I didn't have it charged in for some reason but I think the voltage was too low to do anything other than make it whir up and then give an error code flash.

No "scheduled" outages here due to PG&E though, not having trees is kind of nice I guess?, but yeah waffling back and forth on how much generation I should be prepared for. Saw some conversion kits (just under $200) that allow you to use propane or natural gas on a gas only powered generator, so may lean in that direction (fuel sources that store stably versus gasoline). Also still thinking about an inverter generator for a bit more quiet and efficiency but the price goes up pretty big there.

Sounds like you are in for the long haul if it's the transformer.
Battery air pump?
I can lend them to you.

So power has been out for 5 hours now, first alert told me 9:45 things should be restored, then 9:45 came and passed and then it was 12:00. Well herr it is after noon and still no power. Pg&e is saying they are still investigating the problem and every now and them a.pg&e truck drives by, translation they still have no idea then about 12:30... power back.

Now tanks are fine, nothing bad happened, over reaction? Well unfortunate my Ecotech battery backup was dead, I didn't have it charged in for some reason but I think the voltage was too low to do anything other than make it whir up and then give an error code flash.

No "scheduled" outages here due to PG&E though, not having trees is kind of nice I guess?, but yeah waffling back and forth on how much generation I should be prepared for. Saw some conversion kits (just under $200) that allow you to use propane or natural gas on a gas only powered generator, so may lean in that direction (fuel sources that store stably versus gasoline). Also still thinking about an inverter generator for a bit more quiet and efficiency but the price goes up pretty big there.

Man, you know I may have something you can use, right?

Ah, would it be bad form to tell you that I do? :p

Admittedly a generator is cheaper.
Not bad form, just yeah not exactly in the budget, easily 7-8 grand for a powerwall (if I went Tesla that is), I think the Powerwall has a switch in it to remove it from the grid, but still $7000+ solution for 13.5kWh , as nice as it is, I think I'd much rather spend $500 for a generator that will rarely be used but could potentially provide "unlimited" power (time) if there was a massive outage (major earthquake, etc)

Not bad form, just yeah not exactly in the budget, easily 7-8 grand for a powerwall (if I went Tesla that is), I think the Powerwall has a switch in it to remove it from the grid, but still $7000+ solution for 13.5kWh , as nice as it is, I think I'd much rather spend $500 for a generator that will rarely be used but could potentially provide "unlimited" power (time) if there was a massive outage (major earthquake, etc)
Yeah, the powerwall setup does. At least I assume they do since we managed to stay running during an outage.

My other assumption is that there'd be enough sun now and then in a major blackout to recharge those batteries during a major extended outage.. but if it happened during a rainy, cloudy week we'd be s.o.l.

Your generator would be the win in this case for sure

well I have "only" 3.26kW of solar panels, and while I probably could get by with that it would be close between powering stuff during daylight hours and charging batteries for night time hours.

Although a generator would be in a similar boat, I can choose between necessities (fish tank) and non-necessities (TV, toaster, microwave, etc)

Back