Jestersix

Recommendation for stocking a refugium

gmdcdvm

Supporting Member
Well,
I have a 29g tank that was set up as a quarantine tank for my Red Sea 260E. I don't plan on adding any more fish so now I am making it a small fish only tank. I might eventually convert it to a minireef. I have an aquafuge 2 refugium that I plan on growing macro algae and pods, but I wanted to know what else I should stock this with? I was thinking a few snails to help remove the algae on the walls. Other than macroalgae, live rock, or sand what else do you like to add to your sump/refugium?

Thanks,

Gerry

I am a big fan of adding crushed coral rubble to get an area the pods feel really comfortable as well as housing the denitrifying bacterial in an oxygen poor environment. I would skip the sand or miracle mud as they are difficult to clean, and can work their way into your pump.

I just 3D printed a Pod Hotel....have not really checked it out since I threw it in there about a month ago, but it looked cool while it was printing....

I have tried a "remote deep sand bed" in the sump. : No visible difference.
I have tried miracle mud. : No visible difference.
I have tried seagrass in sand+mud. Seagrass died. Might be my fault.
I have tried live rock rubble. : Helped, but gets full of detritus and is hard to clean.
I have tried nothing : Works well as a settling tank for detritus, making it easy to siphon.
I have tried big chunks of live rock : Seems to help a bit.
I have tried those ceramic blocks : No visible difference.

I had grand schemes about a lobster or other fun things in the fuge also. Never did that.

The big problem : It is a fuge/sump, not something you see all the time. It gets ignored.
As such, it needs to be designed around being ignored.

Reactions: JVU
I have given all the above methods a try as well. The best I have found is Chaeto and light with a small circulation pump to keep things moving.
I also run an external fuge instead of inline.

I have tried a "remote deep sand bed" in the sump. : No visible difference.
I have tried miracle mud. : No visible difference.
I have tried seagrass in sand+mud. Seagrass died. Might be my fault.
I have tried live rock rubble. : Helped, but gets full of detritus and is hard to clean.
I have tried nothing : Works well as a settling tank for detritus, making it easy to siphon.
I have tried big chunks of live rock : Seems to help a bit.
I have tried those ceramic blocks : No visible difference.

I had grand schemes about a lobster or other fun things in the fuge also. Never did that.

The big problem : It is a fuge/sump, not something you see all the time. It gets ignored.
As such, it needs to be designed around being ignored.
Been there
Done that

I have a cpr aquafuge 2 for sale if you think that would help. it sits on top of most tanks like a hang on filter so you can see it.

I have a cpr aquafuge 2 for sale if you think that would help. it sits on top of most tanks like a hang on filter so you can see it.
Depending on location and price, I might be interested in picking that up off you. I have a little frag tank I want to add a fuge to. I was planning on building one out of a little tank I got from Petco, but just using one of those would save me the hassle.

they are like $250 new, so how about $125? I can bring to swap if you want to see it. I am in SF but work in santa clara area

Back