Kessil

Recommendations for glass sump baffles

Any one have recommendations for where I can order glass panels cut to specific sizes which I'll use for my sump's baffles?

I'm based up in SF but work down in Mountain view so somewhere close to those two places would be ideal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The tank itself is glass so I was thinking it'd be better to attach glass baffles for adhesion/dealing purposes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I used acrylic. Cut up an old tank. If you do that be sure to not fit the pieces too tight. Acrylic expands a little in water.

If you are using glass, just about any glass shop should be able to do what you want. Make sure they sand the edges so you don't get cut messing around in the sump!

Glass is so much easier to silicone into a glass sump. Silicone doesn't bond acrylic to glass very well. I got my glass baffles cut at Berkeley glass center. It was cheaper than acrylic and they were fast!

How much narrower the baffles be if I end up going with glass? What about with acrylic? i.e. if my sump's internal depth is 12" should I get 11 7/8" wide pieces? 11 15/16"?

For glass just small enough to fit in. My guess would be about 1/8".

IIRC, I did about 5/16" smaller. This gives just more than 1/8" on each side. I also sanded the edge and a bit of the face to help with the poor adhesion of silicone to acrylic.

I used silicon to stick in an acrylic baffle. The baffle was too thin (very thin and it bowed and leaked into the section it was supposed to divide because the bowing pulled it from the sides) HOWEVER, the silicon actually did hold it very well because the silicon was not going anywhere and the acrylic was sandwiched between them. Had I not been cheap and used scrap 1/8" acrylic and used 1/4" instead, I would be using that as a baffle now, instead of having a plastic storage box as a skimmer/drain section.

Back