Our mission

Red hard stringy algae ID please

Hi all, I have hard stringy red algae growing on a snail I got from reef cleaners. In the span of 24H it has taken over the dead parts of an acro (arrived partially dead, I didn’t kill it).
What it is? How do I treat it?
0831C4B5-5F78-4618-B415-A64B220685E3.jpeg

02B87CD6-6AF3-45D4-961B-EBC02F18FBC9.jpeg

My WC schedule was based on "the solution to pollution is dilution". IIRC 30% a week is approximately 90% per month. I'll try only changing 5-10g per week.
The solution to pollution is dilution, but stripping your nutrients out can cause bad times. Dinoflagellates is one example, where it's pretty common to have undetectable/limited phosphates as a precipitating factor for a bloom.

I'm in agreement with Eric re: coralline on snail, cyano on acro. I'd siphon the cyano off the acro and keep an eye on it.

If you're really concerned/are in San Jose, feel free to take a sample of any of the gunk in your tank and I can give you a definitive diagnosis with my microscope.

I agree it looks like cyanobacteria. If it is, that is just a normal part of reefkeeping and not something to particularly worry about. Just brush/siphon it out, no biggie. I’m confused/concerned that you said it is hard- cyano is not at all hard, it is wispy with no solid feel at all.

Your water change regimen is on the aggressive side (more than needed), but if you are otherwise happy with it, I’d stick with it or make only minor modifications.

Back