Jestersix

Red Sea magnesium testing issue

Ok I have a problem here. I’ve followed the instructions to the T and yet I have funky results. So it says if I’ve used more than 0.8ml of titrant, I have missed the end point. The problem is, I’ve gone through all 1ml of the titrant and the color never turned blue. So... is my magnesium just super high or is the test kit faulty?
23fc81fada822bebe5e0fb515a0be422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I have a problem here. I’ve followed the instructions to the T and yet I have funky results. So it says if I’ve used more than 0.8ml of titrant, I have missed the end point. The problem is, I’ve gone through all 1ml of the titrant and the color never turned blue. So... is my magnesium just super high or is the test kit faulty?
23fc81fada822bebe5e0fb515a0be422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its very picky kit - shake it really hard and go slow. It might also show 200ppm higher than expected:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2065207

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have both this red sea kit and salifert for magnesium, and they're both fairly good. My problem was that my mg was basically off the charts 1800ppm+. The salifert couldn't tell, and the red sea would barely be able to register anything.

Anyway, you're welcome to try my tests on your water! Bring a sample over if you'd like, and your own kit and we can compare.

I have both this red sea kit and salifert for magnesium, and they're both fairly good. My problem was that my mg was basically off the charts 1800ppm+. The salifert couldn't tell, and the red sea would barely be able to register anything.

Anyway, you're welcome to try my tests on your water! Bring a sample over if you'd like, and your own kit and we can compare.
That would be fun to do, except you're a tad far from me lol. So its possible my water's mg is high as well? What would cause that? Currently using IO reef crystals. And is high mag a cause for concern?

That would be fun to do, except you're a tad far from me lol. So its possible my water's mg is high as well? What would cause that? Currently using IO reef crystals. And is high mag a cause for concern?

I doubt IO reef crystals would have high mag. Try testing a fresh batch of water to see if that registers anything.

My AquaForest Reef Salt comes with 1800ppm mag in a fresh batch. I've tested 3 different buckets on three different test kits and that's just the nature of it.

Other than having sluggish snails, I heard it can't be too terrible.

I'm in san leandro. I can help you test as well. I use saliferts. I can test calcium, alkanity, nitrate, and phosphate as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I wonder what would happen if you were to refill the syringe again and continue. The scale is linear so I wonder if you could count more drops until it did change.

Back