Cali Kid Corals

Red Sea Max 250 or Custom Build 75 Gallon Tank

Hello everyone,

I'm considering upgrading from my BC 29 to either a 75 gallon custom or Red Sea Max 250. My LFS has stated they can work with me to build a custom 75 gallon setup for close to the same price as the RSM 250 ($1550). I have a lot of comfort and success with the all in one systems, however, and know I can get the RSM 250 growing SPS like I currently have in my BC 29. My concern is if I go the custom route with my LFS, the price may easily go beyond my budget of $1550 due to the huge variations in price/quality of all the components that will go into the build. I just don't have the experience to know which components will work best and are the best value for their performance. At this point, I'm tempted to just go for the RSM 250 and be done with it.

Just curious what others might do in this situation. Thanks!

Mike

I would do custom to get better lights than the rsm, bit I have not seen the 250 anywhere running yet either.

I'd go custom, considering you can mod, add stuff with ease. The AIO have lots of limitations and if you need to upgrade/mod an "All In One" tank, what's the purpose of it?
I'm sure for $1500 you can get a sweet system in the 70G range.

I also like the custom route, might be more $$$ but in the end you can decide what equipment, design, size, etc. you like which is worth the extra $$$ over the long haul. Plus, it's easier to change and swap out different equipment than an all-in-one setup.

I have a rsm and I already upgraded the skimmer, added a vortech, & would change the lights in a heart beat (if I was'nt working on my 450 display ;)) .

I would defintely go the custom route.

Back