Our mission

Red Sea Valve Swap -- Gate vs Diaphragm -- Opinions?

richiev

Supporting Member
My Reefer 170 I feel like I have to muck with the valve pretty commonly. Seems like more often than I'd like I need to open it all the way, then re-tune it, since it starts gurgling. I also feel like it's not very precise to adjust. Seems like I turn it a a bit and nothing happens, then have to over-turn, and then turn it back.

In setting up my 500 I'm debating swapping out the valve for a Gate valve. Has anyone done so? Is there any actual or theoretical reason why a normal gate valve is a worse solution?

cc @Srt4eric who certainly has laid enough pipe to have an informed opinion on this

I still have the original RSR 750 diaphragm valve and it works fine. I sometimes have to slightly open or close it to keep the balance of flow between the pipes correct, but I assume that would be the case with any valve. I opened it up to clean it after about 3 years in operation and it was basically clean and fine. If the valve fails I’ll swap it for a better gate valve as above but not in a rush to do so.

The reason it seems so one-sided with complaints is that no one starts a thread to say the valve that came with their system is fine.

I didn’t have many issues with the valve on my 170. But I did use a spears gate valve on my 525 and it’s excellent.

$70 seems like a lot for what it is, but it’s nothing compared to the money we spend on the rest of this stuff, and it sees more “use” than just about any component in the entire system. I wouldn’t sweat the price, if you’ve got one of the shitty red sea valves i say go for the spears!

You can get cheaper gate valves at aquatic collection that have worked fine for me
I feel like a lot of the problem with the diaphram valves are they get debris clogging them and they are harder to open than they need to be imo. Some work great, some get clogged frequently. Depends on the system I think

I struggled with my RS diaphragm since it was new. I replaced it with a gate valve and haven’t touched it since. Wish I would have done this months ago.

Back