Our mission

Red Serpent Star - will it eat live fish?

I was really wanting a red serpent star, but I have heard mixed things about them eating reef fish. I have alot of bottom dwelling fish nad some wrasses that sleep in the sand. Can a Red Serpent Star be trusted to not eat fish?

I'm not sure about red serpent stars, but I have 2 huge red brittle stars in my tank with all my fish and haven't had a problem. My brittle stars have bodies that are about 1" in diameter and legs that are each about 5" long. So they're about 11-12" across. I have a YWG, 2 firefish, 2 clowns, a coral beauty, and a midas blenny. I also have 2 cleaner shrimp, a pistol shrimp, and lots of crabs and snails and I've never seen either of the big stars mess with any of the other inhabitants. I do have 3 serpent stars but theyre much smaller and not the red variety. They're model citizens as well.

If you would like to get brittle or serpent stars that are smaller in size so that you don't have to worry about the potential for them eating fish, KP Aquatics sells "nano" sized brittles and serpents. The best part is they ship just fine with priority shipping so its only $15 to have them shipped. All 5 of my stars are from that website and I know a lot of people who have had great success with stars from them. Their website is:
http://www.sealifeinc.net/

Pacific brittle stars, red, yellow, green, etc = fish killer

Pacific and Atlantic red serpent = reef safe

Atlantic red brittle = reef safe with a caveat that I always treat them as danger danger

Interesting about those nano-stars.
I have 3 banded (brown/dark brown I guess) brittle stars.
Handy scavengers. They tend to clean under my rocks rather well. But they are HUGE now.
Sure seems like it is larger than it "maximum 1 foot" rating.

I've had one of these http://yamfam.com/aquarium/red_serpent_star.jpg for ages and yes he is fish safe. He does much better when spot-fed meaty foods rather than just leaving him to scavenge. He'll get a meal, become a bit scarce for a few days, and then hang out in the open again as a hint that he's hungry.

I was really wanting a red serpent star, but I have heard mixed things about them eating reef fish. I have alot of bottom dwelling fish nad some wrasses that sleep in the sand. Can a Red Serpent Star be trusted to not eat fish?
As long as you feed it once a day as you would your fish your safe.I had one in my 70 gal tank for 6 years till my Brazilian queen angle delegged it then killed it sad day.I used to hand feed mine silver sides very day made a game of it he would climb up the glass for it's food

I have a large red & black brittle star and a pink serpent star, both from Florida. They seem safe because I have seen both taking food away from a slow, small tiger goby and he has never been harmed. They are fed meaty bits 3-5 times per week. I love those stars!

Back