Jestersix

Reef Brite electronic MH Ballast

Has anybody ever used these ballasts? Seems to be one of the most expensive on the market.

I'm going to upgrade to a 250 from my 150 and have started researching ballast and of course i want to know what the best is! It must be the most expensive right?

Thought maybe it might be designed to run those twin arc bulbs they have? There website leaves a lot to be desired and i could'nt find much on reef builders

Thanks for sharing any experiences you may have.

MH Jess, Metal Halide :lol:

I have two of the RB250w electronic MH ballasts. I haven't started using them so I really can't say much. I could bring one to the swap if you want to see it in person.

TwinArcs are designed to work on most ballasts IIRC, nothing special is required to run them in other words.

:lol:

I hear you on the damn phone part :D for me it's damn predictive text

Wouldn't have been like 4 444 44 4 or something like that :lol:

naw, that's super old school dawg. T9 'predictive' text lol.

... currently using Coralvue Dual 250W ballast, but the dual version has been discontinued for some reason. It has survived 2 tank overflows, well, just the bottom got wet, and not really flooded, but still works great with my 10k reeflux and now 14k phoenix's. Eventually, I will need to upgrade to something else.

Didn't know Reef Brite made MH equipment... but sure looks nice, and fancy sounding "Reef Brite 250W Digitally Controlled Self Diagnostic MH Ballast"

They make MH & LED fixtures, MH & T5 ballasts and MH & T5 bulbs. Full line. The owner is the inventor of the TwinArc bulb (plus many other patents)

They discontinued the Dual ballast (Coralvue)?

I think they still sell it, but don't see it on their main website anymore. I really like it because one less ballast to take up space and a socket... but if it goes bad, I guess both bulbs go? or are there 2 ballasts inside the box? I'm not good with these electronics stuffs.

GreshamH said:

I have two of the RB250w electronic MH ballasts. I haven't started using them so I really can't say much. I could bring one to the swap if you want to see it in person.

TwinArcs are designed to work on most ballasts IIRC, nothing special is required to run them in other words.

They seem to be standard looking?

Whats holding you back? Turn'em on and let us know what kinda light they make!

T have seen people using digital/electronic ballasts for hydroponics and they seem nice. Less heat, no noise, but I hear you need to make sure bulbs are compatible with the way they start up or something?

I like the way the dimable lumantek's can switch between 250 and 400. Mike, you know how i always buy with my next tank in mind ;)

I just cant seem to get to the bottom of why ReefBrite's are worth 15% or so more than the next best thing?

perculation said:
GreshamH said:

They seem to be standard looking?

Whats holding you back? Turn'em on and let us know what kinda light they make!

tank isn't set-up yet nor has the light rack been built. baby steps, baby steps.

Back