Neptune Aquatics

Reef Tank oxygen depleted + inverts gone - next steps?

borker

Supporting Member
Due to an unfortunate accident cleaning my powerheads during a water change, I made my tank hypoxic (some strong citric acid in the water by toddler). The inverts basically perished within a minute (shrimp, snails, etc.) I noticed the problem when I came back up and the fish were upside down. The unfortunate part was that the fact I was cleaning *all* my powerheads this time was the reason for the whole thing (citric acid and no powerheads).

I managed to save the fish, but all the rest of the inverts I believe are gone (emerald crabs, snails, brittles stars, etc.)

I immediately did a 50% water change (which was the plan anyway), but curious if there's anything else to do, and if it's safe to put the fish back in. Any toxicity to coral (zoas, montis, a scoly, etc)? I think *not* but want to double check.

The nems in the tank seem really pissed and weak, but alive.

Anything else I should do at this point?

Final PSA: always be *super* careful with kids around the tank. Not just for their safety but they might just think they're 'helping'

Scoly and Monti looking like this:
IMG_9770.jpg

Sounds good! Gonna push out as much RO as I can... but have a limited system. Probably can do 20-40 more gallons tomorrow.

Sounds good! Gonna push out as much RO as I can... but have a limited system. Probably can do 20-40 more gallons tomorrow.
White strings from the scoly are mesenterial filaments, basically its internal digestive structures, showing due to stress.

Can you measure the pH and alkalinity? The citric acid likely dropped the pH rapidly. Run some activated carbon too if you're seeing lots of die off. Are the fish in a bin right now?

Fish were in a bin - I put them back in after a 25 water change and also added a bunch of Tropic Marin All For One to rebuffer the tank; I don't have test kits handy unfortunately. All powerheads are on and skimming is happening.

Fish were in a bin - I put them back in after a 25 water change and also added a bunch of Tropic Marin All For One to rebuffer the tank; I don't have test kits handy unfortunately. All powerheads are on and skimming is happening.
Without being able to test, it could be a bit dangerous adding back blindly. Make sure the temperature of the bucket is close to the tank to not shock the dust, then maybe add back your least favorite fish first and see how it does (I know that sounds terrible).

Big clouds this AM. Did another 25G water change, but will keep it going as quickly as possible (as fast as my RO can pump it out!)

As you can see, the Scoly / Favia are struggling, Monti (bottom right) is not looking great!!
IMG_9779.jpg

@Coral reefer @phc567

Feel free to text me, 281-687-7926

I can try to arrange to come by ASAP. I've got trash cans and containers.

Not sure if it's too far gone at this point, and can't just drop everything b/c both toddlers running around at home.

I hope you got a ton of water. One thing to consider is if you change do a 50% change, then a 50% change, you're in total doing a 75% change. If instead you waited a bit longer and did the change all at once, it'd be 100%.

If you don't have measuring kits, it might be worth doing up a gallon or two of water, letting it mix and come to temp, then just float your coral in it. Maybe do the same with your fish, separately. Maybe even a third with any inverts that look alive.

Then just wait a bit until you have enough water to do a giant water change to completely reset

Effectively move alive things to good water ASAP, then change out the rest of the water and pull as much dead stuff out as possible, before putting things back in.

Back