Jestersix

Refugium ,Is 250mh too much?

Is too much is a good thing?what if i shorten the lighting period is the same thing as less wattage one?my compact light seen to draw alot wattage also and it's time to replace the bulbs.Thank you

lapsan

I don't think MH is necessary. What kind of algae are you planning to grow? Cool white fluorescent shod be good enough. PC and ambiant light are what I use. I run three in varying configurations.

Here is some information on a bulb that only uses 16 watts (this is the one that I use):
http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

I think it's perfect Lap. You've got a big tank and big tanks have big nutrient loads (when you have as many fish as you do)

More light will grow it faster, and more of it. The object IMO of a fuge, besides being a refuge, is to be a transport for nutrients. More, faster growth means greater nutrient transportation.

We use MH to grow our algae here commercially. In fact, every facility I have ever been to uses MH to grow their algae.

I started with a 150w then switched over the one similar to melev's to save money. I subsequently switched back to my 150w because I saw more reddish-slimy algea growing under the melev lights. Then I started to see these slimy algae in the DT and the Frag tank. So I switch back to MH.

Don't know if the Lights of America (LOA) Bulb caused the red algea to grow, but I know the cheato grows faster under the 150w because I had to cut back more often, else it clogs the outflow. This didn't really happen with the LOA.

Lower kelvin PC bulbs have more red = more nuisance algae IME

As PC bulbs age, they as well produce more red IME.

GreshamH said:
I think it's perfect Lap. You've got a big tank and big tanks have big nutrient loads (when you have as many fish as you do)

More light will grow it faster, and more of it. The object IMO of a fuge, besides being a refuge, is to be a transport for nutrients. More, faster growth means greater nutrient transportation.

We use MH to grow our algae here commercially. In fact, every facility I have ever been to uses MH to grow their algae.
sweet,thanks gresham

Lapsan

For algae we use 6500K MH's.

PC's, sorry, no bulb recommendations for those from me... ancient technology that burns out to rapidly.

Back