Cali Kid Corals

Rich's Whole Tank Shot

Thales

Past President
I finally had a minute.

dsc_4175__whole_thak_woo_web_160.jpg

Not too shabby their Rich, out of curiosity how did you get those standing pieces like that? I figure branching rock, but how did you attach it to the other rock on top? Epoxy? Rods? Cement?

Daniel, if I read you right, that is a bi colored frogspawn.

Mike, some of them are wedged upright between rocks that hold them up in one or two places. Some of the smaller branches are actually built of even smaller branches glued with super glue (accelerator rocks!). I think all the gluing is done with super glue - that priming method really seems very strong. No rods, no cement, no epoxy.

Most of the rock/branch pieces are very big though, so it becomes easier to set them up. I think the biggest rock in there is 90 lbs. I spent a lot of time and case to get large interesting pieces. :D

[quote author=orientalexpress link=topic=2614.msg27095#msg27095 date=1195859825]
WOW,nice mix reef.how many fishes u have in there?:)

lapsan
[/quote]

:D Too many!

[quote author=Paradox link=topic=2614.msg27099#msg27099 date=1195888066]
Is the frogspawn suspended?
[/quote]

Not in the way I think you are thinking. There is a large piece of branch rock that goes from the floor of the tank to the top of the tank in the back center. The frogspawn in glued to that. Next time you are in the EB come check it out.

It looks like the frogspawn is suspended !

The tank looks good. A lot fuller then what I recall from babysitting your cuttlefish. Hows the Hairless dog and cat?!?

Nice update Rich, Somehow I remember your tank being way brighter....maybe its just the picture? Do I see 6 clams? Am I right? : )

What type of super glue do you use for the rockwork? I dont feel the type Im using is good enough for rocks.

Looks great! Ill have to see it in person for its a little difficult to see the detail with that pic..

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=2614.msg27163#msg27163 date=1196108271]
Rich - is that sapphire blue sps on the left a Hoeksemai (sp?)
[/quote]

Which one? :D
The one all the way on the left is a tort, and the one nearer the middle but still on the left is something from tonga that I never fully id'd.

[quote author=Paradox link=topic=2614.msg27187#msg27187 date=1196114306]
What type of super glue do you use for the rockwork? I dont feel the type Im using is good enough for rocks.

Looks great! Ill have to see it in person for its a little difficult to see the detail with that pic..
[/quote]

I use IC GEL. Love it. There are some tricks though, I wrote about them in a recent Reef Hobbyist Magazine, but their site is goofy right now, so I'll try to get the pdf of it up on my site soon. The main thing is to prime the place where you are going to be gluing stuff with glue. Glue sticks to glue easy, and will hold up surpassingly large objects in a tank. The whole arch from the cave top on the left to the two big clams is glued in place, and it is made up of three pieces of live rock glued together. I cheated and used accelerator outside the tank, but I got the shape and size I wanted without having to buy anything!

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2614.msg27156#msg27156 date=1196105942]
Nice update Rich, Somehow I remember your tank being way brighter....maybe its just the picture? Do I see 6 clams? Am I right? : )
[/quote]

Beats me! That pic does look a little fuzzy to me now...

I'll try to do a time lapse soon.

[quote author=orientalexpress link=topic=2614.msg27095#msg27095 date=1195859825]
WOW,nice mix reef.how many fishes u have in there?:)

lapsan
[/quote]More like "how many corals do you have in that tank?".

Looks good Rich, you need to come over to my place and teach me how to cram so many (nice) corals into a tank. Sweet frogspawn BTW..

:D

Everything seems to be on track in the tank at the moment, so hopefully in the next year, I will actually be removing corals as others grow, which has always been the plan.

That's frog is pretty sweet - I can't remember where I got it from!

Stopped by at Rich's place after the BBQ for the PM and snapped these.

Rich and his science lab.
D2X_1046.jpg

Tank under different lighting schemes.
D2X_1048.jpg

D2X_1049.jpg

D2X_1052.jpg

D2X_1053.jpg

Other reasons why Rich wants actinics.
D2X_1058.jpg

D2X_1059.jpg

D2X_1060.jpg

D2X_1061.jpg

D2X_1063.jpg

Piece that Eileen and I were drooling at.
D2X_1066.jpg

D2X_1067.jpg

D2X_1068.jpg

D2X_1070.jpg

D2X_1073.jpg

D2X_1074.jpg

D2X_1076.jpg

D2X_1078.jpg

D2X_1083.jpg

D2X_1085.jpg

D2X_1088.jpg

D2X_1089.jpg